• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Bulge Bracket Quant/S&T Rotational program VS Big Enterprise Technology Company

Hi All

I am currently trying to decide between a Quantitative Analysis Rotational Program at a Bulge Bracket in NY versus a Large Tech Firm (That does Enterprise Technology) on the west coast.

To my great surprise, the Tech firm is paying me way more than the Bank. Is this only for the first few years? If I do end up doing a good job as a quant, will my salary and bonus shoot up?

Also, what are some of the things that I must base my decision on? This is my first job, and I do not want to make the "wrong" decision

Both positions will help me develop similar skill sets in different environments. I like challenges and people have told me banks are great work environments. At the same time however if I will be working way less and earning way more, why shouldn't i go for that option? What do you guys think :)?

I think that first of all I shouldn't think about the money. Think about the long run.

Do you want to go into finance or do you want to go into technology? Choose the one you want to make a career out of.

Hi All

I am currently trying to decide between a Quantitative Analysis Rotational Program at a Bulge Bracket in NY versus a Large Tech Firm (That does Enterprise Technology) on the west coast.

To my great surprise, the Tech firm is paying me way more than the Bank. Is this only for the first few years? If I do end up doing a good job as a quant, will my salary and bonus shoot up?

Also, what are some of the things that I must base my decision on? This is my first job, and I do not want to make the "wrong" decision

Both positions will help me develop similar skill sets in different environments. I like challenges and people have told me banks are great work environments. At the same time however if I will be working way less and earning way more, why shouldn't i go for that option? What do you guys think :)?

Congratulations, dude. Where did you go to school?

I want to get into management of a Tech firm/ Management consulting as soon as I can. I was not able to get such an opportunity out of college. Which one of the two will better help me leverage my skills to get into such a role in the future?

I go to one of the Ivies, so I guess that helped a lot!

I want to get into management of a Tech firm/ Management consulting as soon as I can. I was not able to get such an opportunity out of college. Which one of the two will better help me leverage my skills to get into such a role in the future?

I go to one of the Ivies, so I guess that helped a lot!

For me it seems pretty obvious that if you eventually want to get into management of a Tech firm, then going to work for a Tech firm is a no brainer? Specially when the job for the tech firm seems to be substantially better considering working hours and pay. Why are you even considering working for a bank? How would that help your goal of managing a tech firm?
Not that I am an expert on this, just going with instinct.

The reason I was considering a bank, because at the job, the core skills I will be using will be the same (programming/ data analysis). Also, although a bank pays relatively low now, I have heard that salaries tend to shoot up through the years, which does not happen in Tech firms.

The thing about managing a Tech firm- I have seen and heard that a lot of managers come from consulting firms as they have a lot of expertise in strategy. So, will staying in a technical role in a tech firm help me with that at all?

Plus NYC is great. The tech position is in the Bay Area, and not close to SF. So, that's another reason that's pulling me towards the bank...

Also, a lot of engineers on this forum talk about how they are happier being a quant... I feel that since I have an opportunity now, I should pounce on it, instead of taking engineering and later reconsidering what I really want to do.

what do you guys think?

Do you want to work in a shrinking industry?

Do you believe "work hard play hard" means "work hard drink hard"?

Do you enjoy pulling crazy hours? Watching people laugh at dumb clients? Having traders shout at salespeople over your shoulder all day long? Listening to everyone whine about getting screwed on bonus EVERY SINGLE YEAR?

Institutional flow trading might be right for you!

Back