• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Book

Hello! I need to study C++ from the scratch and I need your advice which is the best book for quants. I want to study C++ from the mathematical point of view. So what do you think? Which book would you recommend?

Thanks you

Because you want to learn C++ from the ground up, you should learn the language inside out first. Knock something like "best books for quants or mathematical point of view", etc. off for the moment.

This is a good list for your reference:

1) Absolute C++/Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch
2) Accelerated C++ by Koenig
3) Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel

Go through the list in this order and you will be ready to go in whatever direction you want (mathematical point of view or financial point of view, etc).

Because you want to learn C++ from the ground up, you should learn the language inside out first. Knock something like "best books for quants or mathematical point of view", etc. off for the moment.

That's absolutely right. When learning a new language you have to study the general language first and leave the specifics for that moment. But there are many good books which provide general path of learning through the mathematical point of view. For example, while books define the characteristics of a language in many GENERAL ways, the book I pointed in the above post is the one which guides the student absolutely in math way. This is the extract of one of the greatest authors of programming books.

Perhaps you work
in the electronic publishing industry, develop systems for the state or local government, or work at NASA
or a branch of the military. Speaking for myself, I have developed children’s educational software
(Oregon Trail / Amazon Trail anyone?), various n-tier systems, and projects within the medical and
financial industries. The chances are almost 100 percent that the code you write at your place of
employment has little to do with the code I write at mine (unless we happened to work together
previously!).
Therefore, in this book, I have deliberately chosen to avoid creating examples that tie the example code
to a specific industry or vein of programming. Given this, I explain C#, OOP, the CLR, and the .NET 4.0
base class libraries using industry-agnostic examples. Rather than having every blessed example fill a
grid with data, calculate payroll, or whatnot, I’ll stick to subject matter everyone can relate to:
automobiles (with some geometric structures and employee payroll systems thrown in for good
measure). And that’s where you come in.

That's what I meant here, this author defines the general guidelines to follow and you can apply those language syntax, specification, whatever in your own industry. But the second choice is to choose the instructor that passes you through all those language specifics in your own interests. Actually when I asked the the following question to the CEO of Deitel & Associates (which is also one of my favorite publishers of programming books) Paul Deitel: "Have you published any C++ or C# book which is focused on math which defines the mathematical algorithms or focuses on math while teaching the language??? He replied something like this: "We don't have such books. Publishing a book is a business, so we try to publish those books that have much publicity and sells well. Math books have very little users who are also programmers."

What I wanted to say with this quote is that you can hardly see such books (teaching programming language through mathematics) since it's limited in number. But still you can find a way to learn C++ via mathematics. Hope you get the point.

Thank you guys for your attention. I already ordered the book you recommended Tsotne. I'll try to follow that book and take a look at "Absolute C++/Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch" also(Its seems very big in size, i'm currently downloading) As I read the description of the C++ for mathematicians, it does not provide the GUI teaching.

The algorithms in this book are done in console. You can learn GUI very easily there are many other books also providing the GUI walkthrough. You can search them in google.

Not math focused book right? I already started reading what you recommended previously. It also seems very good since it explains the constructs of C++ in math language. Good one. Thanks

It's a general ordinary book. Not concentrated on mathematics. Once you have learned the basics and details of the programing language then it becomes very easy to translate math into that language. Don't worry about the examples and learning strategy provided in the book. Just think how you could fit the "just learned" environment to mathematics.

C++ Primer. More sophisticated.

Touted by bbw nevertheless I disagree. C++ Primer by Lippman is not consistent in presenting material. It jumps from topic to topic and back, it can be confusing. Not good.

C++ Primer Plus by Prata, I think, is the best into to C++. It's a bit lower level than C++ Primer, it gets wordy, but very thorough. You can jump straight into Stroustrup after Prata to gain sophistication. I would recommend going through C programming language by Kernigan before C++, that's if you have time.

Back