• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ Online Programming Cert Testimonials

VS is highly recommended. The best approach on mac would be to use a vm such as parallels. That being said, many students have used xcode and the like.

Happy to complete this course. Everything I have done is for Baruch MFE and my career dream in quantitative finance. I enjoy Professor Duffy's lectures, there is a lot of knowledge behind the lectures, each word he said has a reason. Thanks for APalley's help in my homework, I now know how to write a beautiful project with class. Thanks again for Quantnet, my TA and Professor Duffy.
Best wishes for all of you!

Happy to complete this course. Everything I have done is for Baruch MFE and my career dream in quantitative finance. I enjoy Professor Duffy's lectures, there is a lot of knowledge behind the lectures, each word he said has a reason. Thanks for APalley's help in my homework, I now know how to write a beautiful project with class. Thanks again for Quantnet, my TA and Professor Duffy.
Best wishes for all of you!
Thank you. Good luck in your career.

I have just completed the course, and I wanted to share my experience. I had no exposure to C++ before that course and it's been a while since the last time I coded.
The course builds C/C++ understanding from ground up, as well as some Boost and STL libraries.It pushes one to learn basics of option pricing theory.
A great course overall. Teaching assistant Avi Palley was of great help and was always there when I had any questions.
Dr. Daniel Duffy constantly helps whenever question regarding course material arises, and not only then.
Special Thanks to Pavlos Sakoglou and Justine Morgan whose comments answered countless amount of my questions, often before I even asked.
Thank you all. It has been a pleasure. I will recommend this course for anyone interested in C++, programming or Financial Engineering.

P.S.:I already did recommend it ;)

Hi,

I don't have any programming or finance experience. I finished my bachelors in engineering 13 years back. I want to pursue this course but I am not sure if I am the right fit for it. The passing success rate is only 50%? Please advise if it is possible for a non programmer ( also lacking finance background) to pass this course. I plan to enroll as soon as possible but little hesitant if I can pass it.

Hi,

I don't have any programming or finance experience. I finished my bachelors in engineering 13 years back. I want to pursue this course but I am not sure if I am the right fit for it. The passing success rate is only 50%? Please advise if it is possible for a non programmer ( also lacking finance background) to pass this course. I plan to enroll as soon as possible but little hesitant if I can pass it.
Financial knowledge is not needed.

AFAIK many people w/o programming background do the course.

C++ is a skill, so it demands stamina, motivation and asking your friendly TA when stuck.

Hi,

This course is demanding indeed but when I took it I had zero programming experience as well :) As you probably know you will have 4 months to complete this certificate. In my opinion it is enough given that you are committed to it and that depends only in you, your schedule, other obligation you might have etc. But if you want to persue a quant finance career this is the ideal start to learn programming and you will need to do so eventually. It starts from the very basics and ends up in financial applications, quite useful and ready to use later on.

Although it took me two months to complete it, I was determined to study hard from day 1, I spent a lot of time googling stuff or reading from other sources (books, online lectures etc.) to better my knowledge and understand details. But the syllabus and the structure I believe it's enough and self-sufficient. But again, it's programming and there is no way to depend on a single source while learning it :)

I would recommend start doing Level 1 & 2 and see how much time it takes you, if you can understand what is going on, check the forums and see how helpful they are, post questions etc. Try it, and then you get to decide if taking it or not is a good idea. But honestly, it is really important to know all this stuff are taught here, so sooner or later you will have to jump on board ;)

Thank You..I will try the first two lectures to see is I am able to cope up and complete the homework's before enrolling in the program

Despite the fact that this is a beginner’s course, it’s enough to get your feet wet. And learning something new is all about getting your feet wet. The course was challenging, but well worth it. The concepts you learn are all very important and highly diversified: a broad range of topics were covered. The last part of the course covers financial applications. I would highly recommend attempting to code the binomial model from scratch. It was an excellent exercise and will test the skills you learned throughout the course.

My TA, Avi Palley, was tremendously helpful with providing support throughout the course. He was able to answer all my questions, and usually responded within a few hours. The forums, along with other Quant Net members, in particular Prof. Daniel Duffy, were also very helpful. Thanks - @APalley , @Daniel Duffy and @Andy Nguyen for your support.

After some research, the moment I made up my mind to enroll for the course. Got a setbac for its too pricey ..
I am not to argue on the justification of the fee but there could be two categories of fee schedule - one may be for working professionals and another for students at a subsidized price.
Just a business idea (installment plan can also work out) ..
Uber rich quants can afford what about the broke aspirants ;)

After some research, the moment I made up my mind to enroll for the course. Got a setbac for its too pricey ..
I am not to argue on the justification of the fee but there could be two categories of fee schedule - one may be for working professionals and another for students at a subsidized price.
Just a business idea (installment plan can also work out) ..
Uber rich quants can afford what about the broke aspirants ;)

I am the originator of this course. Viewing the C++ course landscape offering I would say QN C++ is very competitive and of high quality.

Last edited:
I am the originator of this course. Viewing the C++ course landscape offering I would say QN C++ is very competitive and of high quality.
There is no denying the fact that it is presently the best known quant program specializing in quantitative C++ .But what I wanted to point out was that it is too pricey.
It is very much worth an investment for 4 months to learn C++ from the experts and host of experienced TAs .
Gotta save some money for this atleast.
Thanks Danny for the advice :)

Just started the course but it took a year to decide if this was the best route to take given the price. I'm an active value investor and when I find a bargain opportunity, I dump a boatload of capital with the expectation of high ROI. I took the same approach when deciding to learning C++ here. Do your homework and evaluate the program relative to what's out there.

Just started the course but it took a year to decide if this was the best route to take given the price. I'm an active value investor and when I find a bargain opportunity, I dump a boatload of capital with the expectation of high ROI. I took the same approach when deciding to learning C++ here. Do your homework and evaluate the program relative to what's out there.
This course is a real bargain:)

Hi,
I am planning to take this course, but haven't decide yet. Can you tell me how this course is graded? How much percent in full score are homework and final exam account for?

Thanks

Hi,
I am planning to take this course, but haven't decide yet. Can you tell me how this course is graded? How much percent in full score are homework and final exam account for?

Thanks
You will find every answer here:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/faq-c-for-financial-engineering-online-course.7376/

Grading policy:
https://www.quantnet.com/threads/c-course-grading-policy.7768/

Also, see this thread for further discussions on the course:
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/c-course-info.2/

If you have questions, let us know :)

Back