• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

C++ skills needed

I took one C++ course at a community college 5 years ago. In other words, I know nothing about it, and have no other programming language experience. I just enrolled in the same course at the same school, and I will take at least two additional courses in the fall and spring concentrating on C++. I will be applying to the bottom tier schools in math finance for fall 2013, since I can't imagine getting into a good one. I'm really murky about what kind of background in programming I'm supposed to have to get accepted into one of these programs -- even at a lesser known school.

Background:

I graduated in 2010 with a B.S. in mathematics from The University of Oklahoma. (3.97 GPA). I have been teaching high school math since then.

Most college C++ courses are very basic. You should have no problem meeting the minimum admission requirements at most programs if you take at least 2 dedicated C++ courses and have great grades.
That said, I would recommend that you do more than the minimum and improve your programming further as they will help you a lot with real jobs than your math or finance skills.
Some of the books I recommend for C++ are in this list
https://www.quantnet.com/forum/posts/?post_id=7516

Back