• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calculating discount rate

This is totally a newbie question, but I'm going through the Columbia FE course on coursera. I'm a little stuck on this one quiz question, can someone lend me a hand on this?

Suppose the spot rates for 1 and 2 years are s1=6.3% and s2=6.9% with annual compounding. Recall that in this course interest rates are always quoted on an annual basis unless otherwise specified. What is the discount rate d(0,2)?

Thanks.

I'm a little stuck on this one quiz question, can someone lend me a hand on this?
1 A major lottery advertises that it pays the winner $10 million. However this prize money is paid at the rate of $500,000 each year (with the first payment being immediate) for a total of 20 payments. What is the present value of this prize at 10% interest compounded annually?

Suppose the borrowing rate r_B = 10\%rB =10% compounded annually. However,
the lending rate (or equivalently, the interest rate on deposits) is
only 8\%8% compounded annually. Compute the difference between the upper
and lower bounds on the price of an perpetuity that pays A=10,000$ per
year.

Suppose we hold a forward contract on a stock with expiration 66
months from now. We entered into this contract 66 months ago so that when we entered into the contract, the expiration was T = 1T=1 year. The stock price$ 66 months ago was S_0 = 100S0=100, the
current stock price is 125125 and the current interest rate is r = 10\%r=10%
compounded semi-annually. (This is the same rate that prevailed 66 months ago.) What is the current value of our forward contract?

Back