• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Calculating Sharpe ratio for a long short portfolio

Hi!

I'm currently working on the backtesting of a long-short portfolio, and I need to calculate the Sharpe ratio of this portfolio. As you know, Sharpe ratio is (Expected return - Risk free rate)/(st dev of the returns of the portfolio).

Alright, but:
- easy question: what risk free rate am I suppose to use? I would say it's between 0 and a negative rate, according to the current market situation. I currently use 0 as reference. What do you think about it?

- challenging question: How do I calculate the returns? This might sound easy for a long only portfolio, but what is the method for a long short?
Basic example: I long $10k of stock A, short $10k of stock B. Stock A makes +2% and stock B doesn't move, I virtually have an infinite return!!! Using ($10k * 1.02 + $10k * 1)/($10k - $10k) -1
Am I suppose to calculate each return individually and then add them together? which would make 0.5*2% + 0.5*0% = 1% return ?

And last but not least, once I will have my vector with returns, Sharpe ratio should be:
Sh. ratio = Average(daily returns)/St dev (daily returns)

I mean I am not supposed to use any multiple such as sqrt(250) because I am using daily data?

Thank you for your help!

For a simple model you can do the following: take a year long treasury returns for a RF rate proxy. Next, use quantities to express holdings vs market value of positions. To compute position return, use the following formula: q * (Position Close Price - Position Open Price) * I, where I E(-1, 1) depending on a position type (short (-1), long (1)). Normalize returns to be expressed per year. Use 252 to compute returns and the volatility from daily values. Use $-exposure in the denominator to get the return (abs value for a position type (long | short)). A more complex model includes a different methodology for Sharpe Ratio calculation.

Thank you for your help!
So you mean that to get the sharpe ratio, I should use:
Sharpe ratio = AverageDailyReturn * sqrt(252) / DailyVolatility​
What do you mean by more complex models? Do you have any examples / links / papers I could look at?

Back