• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Can anyone please describe the structure of Columbia MFE Essay ?

Hi,

There are two versions of what needs to be there in Personal Statement on Columbia admissions website:

1. Describe how your professional and academic background has prepared you to pursue an advanced degree in the field of engineering or applied science at Columbia University. If there are any special circumstances that need to be brought to the attention of the Admission Committee, please include that information.

2. A typewritten, double-spaced, well-organized, one- to two-page statement explaining why you wish to pursue graduate study in your particular program at our particular school. This is your opportunity to introduce yourself and to inform the department about your goals, interests, and career plans as they relate to your intended academic pursuits. Please make sure to include your name (as it appears on your application), program and date. This document will be uploaded to your online application and need not be mailed.

Thanks.

@Shubham K.

Can u link the site where you have found it?
I think it's hard to understand what you mean taking out of context.

Do you want to know which one of the structures you should use or?

Yes @Kann . I am interested in knowing which one to use for MFE at Columbia.

The first one is from the section admission application section. One needs to login to view that.

Second one is from faqs.

As i see this out of context the first one is asking for a CV-like page, where you explain your current skills and how they work into the degree.
The second one is a motivation-like page, where you explain, motivation, goals, etc.

If i should write a personal statement page i would mix some of those. I think it's important to explain how your current skills work into the degree, but also explain why you want to study the degree and what motivates you towards it.

The reason, that you find two different examples is probably, that is an individual personal statement, and there is no correct or less correct way to do it, if it holds some of the most important criteria.

But well, that is just my opinion, maybe someone have a better advice.

The best impartial advice I can give you is to contact Columbia and ask them. I'm sure they will take their time to answer your question in a good way.

Back