• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can experience at an Equity Research department add value to an MFE application?

I'm finishing my undergrad degree on Applied Mathematics and I'm working as an equity research intern at a top bank. I've recently been offered a full time job at another top bank's equity research department - which I believe could be attractive for 2 years and then go do my masters. However, I'm worried that given the low "quant" requirements of the role, accepting the offer may damage a future application for an MFE and that a recommendation letter from my potential boss may not be considered valuable.

I've tried getting into other data/quant entry level roles but seems like my experience in ER isn't helping my application as I can't get past the CV screening phase. However, I've gotten multiple callbacks for more business oriented roles (consulting, IB, ER). So the main question is: if my goal is doing an MFE would you advise me to take the offer and then seek the masters or try to get in straight after my bachelor's!?

Back