• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can I handle MFE?

Hi all,

I am now applying for MFE 2010 and get a little bit confused about whether I can handle techical side of MFE.

My university is a bus school in China and my major is finance. We covered all basic finance topics, including John Hull. However, our program focused on quantitative finance. We covered calculus (differential and integral, sequences and series, multivariable), differential & partial equations, linear algebra, operational research, real analysis (measure theory and Lebesgue Integral calculus), probability and statistics, stochastic process (Markov chains, Wiener Process and etc.) in math courses, and I learned C in junior high and self-learning C++ now. As undergrad, I interned at commerical banks and IB. Relevant internship experience will be bond offering & trading in IB and FX trading desk in CB. Also got int'l experience since one of my internships is overseas.

For scores, GRE V590 Q800 AWA3.5, TOEFL 107, GPA 3.62 and ranking 1/140.

My concern is that I am strong in terms of business/finance, but on techical side, I only got more rigorous training compared to business major applicants (math majorly). Considering applicants with math/engineering PhD, I don't know how tough and techical MFE could be and if I will be able to handle the techical courses, and also get a placement in US in trading after graduation in US?

Thanks a lot.

From what you've said you have a pretty sound profile for MFE program. If you study hard, you will be able to handle workload.

Don't worry about engineering PhDs, they are different species. If given current market conditions engineering PhD wants to switch to finance it's rather a soul searching than career planning.

Good luck!

Back