• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can Only Apply To One Program At Columbia?

I just found on Columbia's website that it is not allowed to apply for more than one program. So you have to pick one of the three (MSOR, MSFE, MSMF) to apply to? If so, for those of you who applied to Columbia, which one did you apply to and what were the reasons that you chose that program? Thank you advance for your time!

Hey crazycai,

As far as I know, you can only apply to one program within the department. So you can only apply to either the MSFE or MSOR program (under the IEOR dpt), but you can also apply to the MAFN (math dpt) at the same time. Others can correct me if I am wrong on this. I just applied straight to the MSOR since it just fits my background better and I like the flexibility.

Hey crazycai,

As far as I know, you can only apply to one program within the department. So you can only apply to either the MSFE or MSOR program (under the IEOR dpt), but you can also apply to the MAFN (math dpt) at the same time. Others can correct me if I am wrong on this. I just applied straight to the MSOR since it just fits my background better and I like the flexibility.

Hi Forza, thank you for your reply. Here is what is on Columbia's website: "It is against school policy to apply to more than one program or department per term at the School". It seems that you can't apply to two departments as well?

Well, maybe I am wrong after all, sorry. I thought someone on here actually applied to both the MSFE and MAFN at the same time. Give admissions a call, and see what they say.

Don't be sorry Forza, I really appreciate your replies. I personally do not see why they would do that. I should indeed call them and ask. Anyone who knows about this please comment!

Don't be sorry Forza, I really appreciate your replies. I personally do not see why they would do that. I should indeed call them and ask. Anyone who knows about this please comment!

I believe officially they would tell you you cannot. But if you check the trackers or read some posts, some members have in fact done that and just chose the one they got in to.

I believe officially they would tell you you cannot. But if you check the trackers or read some posts, some members have in fact done that and just chose the one they got in to.
So it seems that they tell you you can't apply to multiple programs, but they don't actually check. Interesting.

So it seems that they tell you you can't apply to multiple programs, but they don't actually check. Interesting.

Hahah well I'm not advocating it and obviously I have no authority in this matter. So... if someone *ahem* decides to apply to both programs and not make it obvious in their applications, maybe they would not bother to check with the other dept. Good luck on your apps.

Hahah well I'm not advocating it and obviously I have no authority in this matter. So... if someone *ahem* decides to apply to both programs and not make it obvious in their applications, maybe they would not bother to check with the other dept. Good luck on your apps.
Haha and on the website it says both or one of your applications MIGHT get disqualified... Thank you, but I'm not applying until next year.

Hi Forza, thank you for your reply. Here is what is on Columbia's website: "It is against school policy to apply to more than one program or department per term at the School". It seems that you can't apply to two departments as well?
MSFE and MSOR are in the same school (SEAS) and you can't apply to these programs at the same time, but MAFN is in GSAS so you can apply to MSFE and MAFN. If you look at the tracker there are some applicants who got admission to both programs.

I've heard that in the past, Columbia SEAS has contacted some applicants to their MSFE program who were not quite as competitive as those applicants to whom they did offer admission, and asked those candidates if they would like to be admitted to the MSOR program instead.

Similarly I've heard that Columbia GSAS has contacted some applicants to their MAFN program who didn't quite make the cut, and offered them admission to their MS Statistics program instead.

(I don't know whether or not this is still the current practice of each department.)

As albertino just mentioned, Engineering (SEAS) and Arts&Sciences (GSAS) are separate schools within Columbia University, each with separate (Graduate) admissions offices; you are allowed to submit separate applications to a single program within each school.

Similarly, Columbia Business School (CBS) is yet another school with its own, separate, admissions process; you could simultaneously submit a separate application for one of their programs, too.

And PhD applications are sent to GSAS, regardless of which school the department is in.

@myampol
That practice is well and alive this year, despite one Columbia IEOR insistence on not doing it when I visited them. One only has to look at the Tracker and pull up the MSOR applicants to see majority of them applied to MSFE program and got sent to MSOR instead.
Last time I talk to MAFN officials, they confirmed that they offered the MS Stats for their program rejects but I don't see enough stats on the Tracker this year to know how widespread the practice is.

"You may apply to both those programs." is the answer I got from IEOR admission team when I emailed to ask them if I can apply for MAFN and MSFE at the same time.

And PhD applications are sent to GSAS, regardless of which school the department is in.

Actually, for Columbia's Engineering school, doctoral candidates have the option of obtaining either a Ph.D. or an "Eng.Sc.D." (Doctor of Engineering Sciences).

http://www.engineering.columbia.edu/phd-and-engscd-degree

The degrees are basically identical, but applications for the Ph.D. degree go through the GSAS admissions office because it is the GSAS which officially grants the Ph.D. degree. Apparently just about everyone does it this way because while most people know what is a "Ph.D", few people seem to understand what is an "Eng.Sc.D.", so candidates would rather put the Ph.D. degree on their resume/CV.

Also note that the Columbia Business School, which also grants the Ph.D. degree, handles its applications separately from the GSAS.
http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/phd

Back