• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Can some one explain the Local Volatility (Dupire's Formula) for me?

When I was reading the book Martingale method in financial modeling. In the local volatility part(P248-P249 of 2nd version), author gives me two formulas. One take the derivatives of the call with respect to K, another with respect to s. How to interpret this and explain this? Can anyone help?
1111.jpg
555.jpg

Hi,
derivatives of the call are not only taken with respect to strike K but also with respect to maturity T in place of price S and time t. This is made by an adjoint/backward argument. Maybe this paper by Jim Gatheral will help you (especially section 2.2).

Hi,
derivatives of the call are not only taken with respect to strike K but also with respect to maturity T in place of price S and time t. This is made by an adjoint/backward argument. Maybe this paper by Jim Gatheral will help you (especially section 2.2).
Thanks Bastian.
I am not sure about adjoint/backward argument. But dose that mean we take the derivatives with respect to K and T, in which the stock price at time T also equals to K. So take both derivatives comes the same result but means two different things.

You're welcome to ask!
I wrote a short explanatory approach for you.

Attachments

• Dupire_by_Bastian_Gross.pdf
    49.2 KB · Views: 233
Back