Can ''start one's own business'' become the long term goal for general MFE programs?

Dears,

I'm quite confused about the career goal for the application of MFE programs.

If one hopes to start his own business in quant field in the long term after accumulating enough quantitative experience at a global leading financial institution, will program value such applicants? Or most programs just mean to prepare their students for a leader position in a large institution.

In short, dose MFE programs dislike applicants who want to start their own quant business in the long term and favor those who plan to become a leader in a large financial institution?

Quite confused and thanks for response.

If you have the academic basis and display a passionate attitude for your career goals then I don't think it will be a problem. The letter is just selling yourself to the committee. If you feel those are realistic goals for you, just make sure the committee feels the same way when they read it.

If you have the academic basis and display a passionate attitude for your career goals then I don't think it will be a problem. The letter is just selling yourself to the committee. If you feel those are realistic goals for you, just make sure the committee feels the same way when they read it.

So one must make himself well prepared for starting a business, which seems realistic......

So one must make himself well prepared for starting a business, which seems realistic......

:D Just focus on a shorter term goal in the letter as @Daniel Duffy mentions. Maybe this is an intro job in a area that most interests you. If you feel the need to tell them you want to be a business owner in the future, perhaps you can mention a sentence about it.

the-journey-of-a-thousand-miles-begins-with-a-single-step-quote-1.jpg

Echoing Daniel this is similar to the age-old question: Do I tell my interviewer that I plan on making a career/team move in 2-3 years? The answer is of course, no.

There is a pretty clear distinction between being dishonest and disclosing way too much information. Would you tell a future employer you plan on having a child next year and will likely take advantage of the 1-4 month parental leave policy? Of course not.

The better question to ask yourself is: "What advantage will telling an MFE program this information give me over my competition?" Unless you are Ed Thorp, the answer is none.

Back