Career Advice - 2 yr gap after MFE

Hi,

I am chemical engineer (PhD) by background and also have a MFE degree. At graduation (PhD, 2 yrs ago), i opted for a good engineering job. The job is great, but is not as challenging as PhD research or quantitative finance.

Trying the engineering option, i have realized that i miss mathematical and computational work.

It is almost 2 yrs since i graduated, would recruiters still consider my application for quant jobs? Is it too long a gap?

When did you get your MFE? I couldn't tell from your post.
You could be having "grass is greener" symptom. You haven't used your MFE degree to know if that line of work is for you so it may be tough articulate to recruiter why you did MFE, why didn't you get a job and why now.
Would you be surprised that the "mathematical and computational work" may be worse than your engineering job?

I'll say stay put and figure out exactly why you need to leave your current job. If you can't find any convincing reason, then don't.

Ok. The facts are the following: I got my MFE in 2008 (while pursuing my PhD) and finished my PhD in 2010. Interviewed with big investment banks when i was writing my thesis, i.e. late 2009-early 2010. Was not able to give my best shots at the interviews and obviously didnt get a job. Since i am an international student, post PhD defence i took an good chemcial engg job. I want to prepare for 1 yr before i apply for a job. hence the two years of gap.

So, i am looking for advice, if this is the right thing to do and what challenges i can face, especially in terms of explaining the two yrs of chemical eng experince.

Back