• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career advice on algorithmic trading

If you want to work as an algo trader, you should do your PhD in

• social media sentiment tracking

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • digital signal processing

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • neuro networks and genetic algorithms

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • other

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters
I'm a computer science graduate and I'm quite interested in Algorithmic Trading. So far, I've been developing web applications and Android apps as a software engineer. That means I'm an expert Java programmer.

I was thinking about doing a PhD in social media sentiment tracking as a natural language processing research associate. I was also thinking about learning digital signal processing, neuro networks and genetic algorithms.

If I do my PhD in social media sentiment tracking, will I be able to work as a quant for an algorithmic trading firm? Or should I do research in some other area? Generally, what courses should I take and what skills should I acquire so that I can work in this field?

Since we're on topic, could anyone give me names of some trading firm that are known for algo trading?

I was thinking about doing a PhD in social media sentiment tracking as a natural language processing research associate. I was also thinking about learning digital signal processing, neuro networks and genetic algorithms.
I would suspect that if you want to do a PhD on a particular subject, you may want to read everything you can about that topic first. For example, take a look at how financial firms are using social media as input data and read as many research paper on this area as possible.
Here is a good place to start http://quant.stackexchange.com/questions/2311/algorithmic-trading-based-on-social-media

Though I would caution that by the time you finish with your PhD, social media and/or algo trading may become a thing of the past. Trendy things don't last long.

Back