• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career advice on quant or data science

I am an analytics guy in Hong Kong with more than 6 years working experience in the aspect of compliance consulting and investment banking. Currently , I am working under MIS team in one of the top US investment bank. However, I am confusing about my career development.
My career aspiration is to become a data scientist. However, seems like what I have been done in the past experience mainly focus on reporting, ETL, descriptive analytics and Business intelligence. I will not say that is irrelevant to data science but it is not what I want.
I have self studied some online certificate from MITx , edx..etc. for the data science certificate. These courses are great and I learn a lot supplement with the statistic background in my undergraduate.
My confusion point is that there are not so many data science job opening in HK and I am definitely not enough to qualify as a data scientist technically or in terms of working experience. I am thinking to get a master of data science in sg or london in order to step in to the industry and work aboard. I think SG or london should have more opportunities. However, I have to give up my current job which worth more than 85k usd annually and I may risk of jobless when I graduated from the master degree. (it is difficult to get a job with my orginal pay for a data scientist position in sg or london with no past experience. ) I may have to restart my career again ..is it worth the investment?
Any advice to me?

In terms of my technical skills,
programming : python or R (no work exp but with some training courses and certificate)
sql (more than 6 years work exp)
tableau and qlikview (more than 3 years work exp)
VBA (more than 3 years work exp)

Statistic knowledge
Undergraduate level plus online training from MITx (Taken the mircomaster of stat and data sci)

Business background
Mainly forsenic , performance analytics , due diligence , kyc. (mainly reporting ,BI and analytics)

Back