• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Mid Career Advice: MOOC (e.g Columbia's Financial Engineering Course on Coursera) or Part-Time MFE?

I've started my career in finance in structured products and became highly interested in option pricing models and quantitative areas like quant trading or structuring for credit-linked products etc. I was previously in the military before making this switch to finance via an MiF only to realize i should've done an MFE as I've always been more quantitative in nature. However, I don't wish to go for yet another full-time masters as the opportunity costs are high (already 30 with bills to pay), so I am seeking the most cost-efficient way to gain knowledge and help my transition into a quant finance role. Would courses like C++ on quantnet/data science course from General Assembley coupled with other MOOC courses like Financial Engineering (Columbia's course on coursera) work as well as paying hefty prices for a part-time/full-time MFE?

also, my MiF was from a top London target school if that aids your advice

Best bang for your bucks would be to take the QuantNet courses (all of them) which will make you really good C++ developer, enough Python skills to be useful on day one, and the options pricing knowledge to be able to pass quant interviews. You can't work with options pricing models without knowing C++ and the options theory used in those models.
All of that will cost you just a bit over $5K and your time.
The main utility of the MFE degree is to help you secure an interview for close to 100K. If you can't afford it, try to get a job interview by taking the courses mentioned above. I know plenty of people got into great quant dev positions using the courses.

Thanks for sharing that Andy, post the C++ courses (say, the advanced one), how should one gain actual experience in C++ that can be showcased to potential employers on the resume? Are there freelance jobs or communities that perhaps you could recommend that allow one to gain real world experience after learning from these courses?

Back