• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

[Career Advise] A .NET Dev And Aspiring Quantitative Dev

G M

Heya All,

As the title goes, I'm currently a .NET developer especializing in Microsoft technologies.
I would want to have a shift next year...

Before I ask some specific questions, here are some details regarding myself:
> I only have a BS degree in Computer Engineering.
> I love numbers, not to sound arrogant, but my grades esp. in Math related subjects were exceptional.
> I have been in the IT industry now for 4.5 years and 2.5 years of it in an investment bank.
> I'm comfortable and confident with C#/C++.
> I'm based in Singapore.

I'm currently brushing up my mathematical skills and eventually will go through the books/resources I'm reading from this forum.
Currently, I totally do not have a background in financial derivatives. Stochastic calculus, linear algebra - basic.
Practice coding based on quantlib.org is also in my list.

My questions are:
1. Is a 1 year timeframe a joke?
2. How can I compose a resume with most my skills not relating to the job I'm applying for?
2.1. Should I remove all the .NET stuffs and change it with quant stuffs?
2.2. Should I put both?
3. I have lots of contraints currently enrolling to a Master's Degree, any recommended reputable not-so-expensive online program that gives certificate?
4. Is having only a BS degree a big disadvantage for my shift?
5. MathLab/Python - very basic knowledge, should I spend more time with these?

My ultimate goal why I would want to switch job is to get a role where I could fully use my programming skills and my love for numbers - I don't see it currently in my job.

Thank you in advance!

Heya All,
My questions are:
1. Is a 1 year timeframe a joke?
2. How can I compose a resume with most my skills not relating to the job I'm applying for?
2.1. Should I remove all the .NET stuffs and change it with quant stuffs?
2.2. Should I put both?
3. I have lots of contraints currently enrolling to a Master's Degree, any recommended reputable not-so-expensive online program that gives certificate?
4. Is having only a BS degree a big disadvantage for my shift?
5. MathLab/Python - very basic knowledge, should I spend more time with these?
Thank you in advance!

1) For a career shift? It's probably the minimum
2) Make it a balance of tech/quant, especially since your first move will likely be to another developer role in the financial industry and not necessarily a quant one.
3) Have you checked out Nanyang Technological University's MS Financial Engineering? It's not as expensive as U.S. programs and they have a few months at CMU.
4) Your first shift will likely be to a developer position in the financial industry. Having only a BS will not be a big disadvantage.
5) Yes, especially Python.

Back