• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career Path Anxiety

Hi everyone,

I'm still a year out from finishing an undergrad in statistics (heavy math emphasis) and I'm starting to think about what I should be doing in my final semester. My plan is, by this time next year, to have applied for one of the few online MFE programs and already be on the hunt for an internship. I am located in Tampa, which seems to be advantageous for finance, and I don't plan to move. There are quite a few big banks and investment firms in the area and so my fingers are crossed that finding an internship won't be an exercise in futility.

That said, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of pessimism coming from this board, and other places as well, regarding this field. Are these fears overblown? Or have I truly missed the boat? All I'd really like to know is that a good-salaried, stable career path still lies ahead and that it's perhaps not so far fetched to think that it should be a relatively straight forward process. Not easy, mind you, but straight forward. I'm hoping that along with an MFE and an undergrad in stats, I'll be able to parlay the fact that I've got strong interpersonal skills, a decent grasp of the markets, and have already been trading for a few years (and develop my own strategies) will help set me apart.

Any words of encouragement or advice are greatly appreciated.

I've not heard of Tampa as a place where there is a lot of finance going on, but I could be wrong. I'd start arranging meetings (informational, you're still in school) with people in your area who work in the field you want to work in. That's the best and most direct way to set yourself up for an internship. Meet as many people as you can. Remember you're not asking for a job in these meetings, just coffee, and talk shop. As with any line of business you're trying to assess two things: 1) is the work interesting and 2) are these people I'd want to work with.

I've not heard of Tampa as a place where there is a lot of finance going on, but I could be wrong. I'd start arranging meetings (informational, you're still in school) with people in your area who work in the field you want to work in. That's the best and most direct way to set yourself up for an internship. Meet as many people as you can. Remember you're not asking for a job in these meetings, just coffee, and talk shop. As with any line of business you're trying to assess two things: 1) is the work interesting and 2) are these people I'd want to work with.

I like that idea, thank you! As for Tampa, there's a number of investment firms here: Raymond James (most notably), UBS, Morgan Stanley, and a variety of other small independent houses to choose from. It's a pretty "professional" oriented city.

I'd start arranging meetings (informational, you're still in school) with people in your area who work in the field you want to work in. That's the best and most direct way to set yourself up for an internship. Meet as many people as you can. Remember you're not asking for a job in these meetings, just coffee, and talk shop. As with any line of business you're trying to assess two things: 1) is the work interesting and 2) are these people I'd want to work with.

Very good advice.

I would be careful with online programs. You don't want to spend several thousands of dollars on something that won't help you get ahead. Might as well do the CFA.

While you chat with people from the industry, you should try to ask them if they hire from specific schools or programs in your area. Target those programs.

Good luck!

Back