• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career shift from Physics to Quant Finance

I finished my PhD studies in Physics (Experimental Solid State Physics) from University of Siegen, Germany in Jun 2009. I worked there as post-doctoral scientist for 2 years. And in Jul 2011 I returned back to India and working as a visiting scientist in an institute. My tenure over here is about to over.

I am thinking over to shift my career from Physics. When I searched my options, I realized that I could shift to Quantitative Finance where quantitative techniques I learnt in Physics can be applied. Hence I am now thinking about shifting to Finance from Physics.

But it is not clear to me how exactly it would be advisable to have the career shift. I had applied for some quant jobs in financial institutes and banks but did not get positive reply. Will it work if I get some sort of certification like FRM/PRM? Also is it possible to start a consultancy in Quant? Or will a course in SAS help me in getting a job? And in general, what are the prospects of phd in physics like me in the field of quant finance in India. Although, I am not restricted to India, but I will have to start something initially from India only.

It will be nice if you can give me some review on this.

Dr. Sant,
Welcome to QuantNet.
Physicists used to be the most documented source of quantitative professionals import on Wall Street as seen here and Emanuel Derman's oft-cited My Life as a Quant: Reflections on Physics and Finance

Sadly, those are bygone time. There are more people chasing fewer jobs and a PhD (Physics or any subject) is no longer a sure shot to even an entry level job. Your experience searching for finance job is one example.
I would start off with networking and get in touch with first, second degree connections and see how many people you can contact and give you some leads.

Also, you definitely need to go through QuantNet guide and our master reading list. Link is in my signature.

Hi, Andy Nguyen. I'm a senior undergraduate student in physics and I'm applying for MFE degree. I've been getting much useful information in QuantNet, thus I appreciate your effort so much. I know that both a Ph.D. in quantitative field or a master in MFE can be a ticket to find a quant job. However, I think a Ph.D. may help one have a higher start point and have better career development. What's your opinion on that?

Back