• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Career Switching Advice Wanted

Hi,

I got here by google as I am considering career switching from electrical engineering to quantitative finance. Specifically, I am interested in modeling and research for quantitative trading. But I have no idea in this industry, so really need your kindly advice.

I got my PhD degree in electrical engineering from a mid-ranked US university two years ago, with some academic research experience in statistical signal processing. I know baisc to mid-level statistics, such as distributions, hypothesis, parameter estimation, time series, machine learning, Baysian analysis, etc. While without a degree in statistics I cannot count myself as an expert. The good thing is, as an electrical engineer, I am quite comfortable for programming, using common languages such as C++, Matlab, R, Python, etc.

For career switching I am learning quantitative finance by myself, through reading books and watching lecture videos. But I do not feel confident for quant job interview because of the lack of working experience in either statistics or finance. The other weakness is I do not own a math or statistics degree. I am full-time employed so no time and money to invest in a MFE degree. Do you guys think if an online certificate in quant finance can help or not? For example, the Quantitative Methods in Finance certificate by Stanford, which provides courses in modeling and trading strategies.

And what chance for me to switch career to quant? What else can I do to get a quant job offer?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. Appreciated!

Thank you Andy. I have read that managers interview. I do not feel optimistic but will think about it more.

Back