• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Careers in finance that do not require programming

Hi everyone,

I am new on Quantnet, so please pardon me if this question has been addressed before. I have searched but not found anything similar, hence am posting my query here.

I have a background in math & finance, but am not interested in programming. What kind of careers in finance can I target ?

Thanks.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I probably misphrased my question - I'm okay with *some* amount of programming, but not a lot. In fact, I've always wondered why a trader or a portfolio manager would need to be a good programmer; since a PM has to have good macroeconomic understanding (+ intuition) to decide what to buy / sell; and a trader has to understand market dynamics to execute the trades that the PM decides upon.

Probably my understanding of these 2 careers is mistaken. Could you correct me & mention any resources that can help me understand different career options within finance (and the skills they require) ? I am an undergraduate student with little prior work ex, so I'm not very clear on the options I have.

Thanks Andy (and anyone else who replies)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your suggestion. I probably misphrased my question - I'm okay with *some* amount of programming, but not a lot. In fact, I've always wondered why a trader or a portfolio manager would need to be a good programmer; since a PM has to have good macroeconomic understanding (+ intuition) to decide what to buy / sell; and a trader has to understand market dynamics to execute the trades that the PM decides upon.

Probably my understanding of these 2 careers is mistaken. Could you correct me & mention any resources that can help me understand different career options within finance (and the skills they require) ? I am an undergraduate student with little prior work ex, so I'm not very clear on the options I have.

Thanks Andy (and anyone else who replies)

Try these websites:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/
http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/

Many (most?) jobs in finance do not involve knowledge such as advanced math or programming, however you are on a website aimed at people who like advanced math and programming. There are jobs that involve having technical finance knowledge (which involves math to an extent), such as sales, trading, structuring, equity research, investment banking, operations, consulting (not exactly finance but financey).

As an undergrad, maybe decide a little what you want to do *when you grow up*. If the above the sorts of jobs appeal to you, programming is not a big thing but these jobs can be very competitive in other ways so you should do your homework. If what you really want to do is work in mathematics, then you should learn to love programming. In today's environment it would be hard to be competitive for the technical math roles if you're not a good programmer as well.

Hi Jose,

Thanks !

From reading on quantnet (and more so by talking to seniors), I am being told that trading does not require much (any?) programming, but the interviews for trader positions are *VERY* programming intensive. Would you agree with this ?

Also, are you aware of any resources that can help me understand different career options within finance (and the skills they require) ?

Thanks !

Back