• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

What careers are similar to what Quants do and what other careers can a math finance degree get?

Hello, I've been browsing various Quant sites and decided to finally post (I've posted this to 2 other forums). So I am in need of some advice on my career goals.

Currently I'm a Chemical Physics major and just need one more year to graduate, but I'm changing it to a double major in Physics and Mathematical Finance, which will take me 2 more years (most of the math class I have to take is similar to ones I took for Physics). But I'm uncertain of what I'll be doing afterwards.

My interests are in the Quantitative Sciences dealing with computational and mathematical work. I enjoy what I study, and would be willing to work at anything that involves applying those particular skills of computation and mathematics. But I recently found quantitative analyst fitting, so majored in mathematical finance hoping to gain skills that interest me (numerical analysis, mathematical modeling, financial intelligence compared to a pure science major, etc.) even if I decide not to pursue a career as a quant.

I am interested in a career as a Quantitative Analyst, but most of the jobs in the US seem to be in NY and I'm in CA. So what other jobs can one get with a Mathematical Finance degree besides a Quant job? As a mathematical finance major, I would be taking most of the Finance courses a Finance major takes, but replacing some Business/Accounting courses with Math/Computation and Stats courses, so I may be able to go into Financial Analysis as well if I just self study some business and accounting practices.

Are there any careers that are similar to what Quants do? Maybe something that doesn't deal with finance? I have a minor in Chemistry (from my canceled Chemical Physics major) and an Associates degree in Biology, and am thinking about Computational Chemistry or Bioinformatics, but it seems to require a PhD. I want to work a little after graduation to earn some money and gain some work experience before I go back for further education.

Last edited:
Back