• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chance for Princeton MFin?

Hi all! I'm very interested in the MFin program at Princeton - I know this program is ridiculously competitive and I was wondering if I have a good chance. I've outlined my brief bio below:

Male, US Citizen

I'm currently working as a derivatives trader at a highly regarded quantitative options market making firm in Chicago, working on some small quant/coding projects on the side (experience in Python, R, Matlab). I'm planning to have two years of experience under my belt by the time I matriculate. In addition, I spent my junior summer interning in investment banking at a top BB (GS/MS/JPM), but elected not to return to IB as I decided it wasn't for me.

GRE: Quant 170 (97%) Verbal 164 (94%) Writing 4.5 (82%)

I graduated from a top-20 undergrad with a major in Applied Mathematics and a minor in Economics, ending with a 3.7 GPA (if it makes any difference, I had above a 3.8 through my junior year then did significantly worse my senior year). I also completed a concentration in physical sciences, taking classes in Organic and Inorganic Chemistry, Physics, and Biology.

In terms of EC's -
Undergrad: Co-President of the Investment Banking Club for 1 year, as well as Captain of a club sports team for 3 (did very well in this sport in high school - had several d1 offers but elected not to pursue in college). Additionally, I competed with a team in a start-up challenge put on by a major corporation at our school in which we took 1st place out of ~30 teams and actually had the opportunity to receive funding, but chose not to pursue the opportunity (I can go into more detail if necessary).

Postgrad: I only graduated this past Spring (trying to look as far as I can into the future) but I engage in a significant amount of volunteering/community service, some through my company and some on my own time.

Thanks a lot guys!

you have good chance but i don't see the need, either
imho, a company sponsored program in chicago area like uchicago finmath, booth/kellogg mba might make more sense

I've heard that from people - here is my reasoning: first of all, I know much of the mathematics behind options theory, but I don't know much computer science other than very basic python (I may have oversold my coding knowledge in the original post), and I want to learn as I feel like that will be much more applicable as things become more and more automated. Second, I do enjoy trading derivatives, but I think I am more interested in developing longer-term quantitative strategies rather than making a hundred mid-frequency trades per day. Third, I want to get back to the East Coast, which is home for me, and I think this might be tough to do coming from an options MM firm. Options market making is great, but Chicago is far and away the hub.

Do these reasons make sense? Please let me know if you don't think so.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Last edited:
Back