• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chance? UCB MFE or Columbia MFE?

Hello!

I am applying to UCB MFE, Columbia University MFE, UChicago FinMath and GATech QCF programs.

I had finished my undergrad from BITS Pilani (Hyd Campus) in Aug 2018 (Civil Engg), GPA 8.5/10. Secured A in Probability & Statistics, A in Multivariable Calculus, A- in Linear Algebra. Had also taken electives like Partial Diff Equations (B), Ordinary Diff Equations (B-), Numerical Analysis (B). Had taken 2 courses in computer programming (on C and Java), secured B in both.

Since my undergrad, I have been working at Morningstar Inc., Indexes group in a quant role. Work experience is associated to portfolio management. We are essentially responsible for maintenance (performing recon, rebal, portfolio analytics) of our indexes, some of which are also used by asset managers for benchmarking/ creating ETFs based on the indexes. Software used at work: MS Excel, MS-SQL, Python.

1.) Feeling a bit nervous! Could you please help and share some thoughts on my chances in the above 4 programs.
2.) I'm more interested in quant research and development, than portfolio management. Love maths and coding! Really like the curriculum offered by UChicago, but it would be really helpful if you provide some guidance on which program could help me move towards the goal better.

I'm from India, education and work-experience both in India, just in case if that's relevant. Thanks!

Also, GRE score is 324 (169Q, 155V). TOEFL 103

Hey
Based on my research GATech is a strong possibility. The conversion in other 3 programs depends on your essays and videos.
I am also more inclined towards UChicago, but for me it is because a large portion of their grads end up as traders(what I want to do).
My profile is very similar to yours, although I am a 2019 graduate.
Best of luck to both of us.

Thanks for the response! Don't think my video interviews (the 3 or 1 minute recorded ones we were supposed to send with the application) with Columbia and UCB went well! :(

Also, what is your opinion on NCSU FinMath vs Rutgers Quant Finance vs GATech QCF? I actually applied to the first two programs too, just to be on the safer side, there is a feeling the competition's going to be higher with the deferrals in Fall 2020. I have got an admit from both but am unsure whether to submit the deposit fees. Rutgers' deposit fees especially, is quite a large amount and the deadline is next week.

Any thoughts will really help me make a decision on what to do next. Thanks!

GATech QCF is better than both the previous programs. But if you have a full tution scholarship from NCSU, you can consider that.
Hey, this is just my opinion based on the research I have done. Ask other people as well.

GaTech does not intend to reduce their incoming class size for Fall '21. They mentioned so in one of their events. They will be admitting around 50 students plus the 16 or so that deferred last year.

I think GaTech would definitely be the superior program of the three. They have a smaller class size, better career services, and a balanced curriculum.
The choice of the free electives from the departments gives you the flexibility of studying subjects you're really interested in

Also if anyone is interested, I have the details of the complete list of free electives offered. I don't know if they keep changing this list of courses per batch, but this is the information we were given

College of Computing
1) Machine Learning for Trading
2) Data and Visual Analytics

Industrial and Systems Engineering
1) Time Series Analysis
2) Regression Analysis

College of Business
1) Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity
2) Corporate Restructuring

School of Mathematics
1) Stochastic Processes in Finance II
2) Partial Differential Equations

They also have a set of courses to prepare students for a PhD in Finance.

Last edited:
GaTech does not intend to reduce their incoming class size for Fall '21. They mentioned so in one of their events. They will be admitting around 50 students plus the 16 or so that deferred last year.

I think GaTech would definitely be the superior program of the three. They have a smaller class size, better career services, and a balanced curriculum.
The choice of the free electives from the departments gives you the flexibility of studying subjects you're really interested in

Also if anyone is interested, I have the details of the complete list of free electives offered. I don't know if they keep changing this list of courses per batch, but this is the information we were given

College of Computing
1) Machine Learning for Trading
2) Data and Visual Analytics

Industrial and Systems Engineering
1) Time Series Analysis
2) Regression Analysis

College of Business
1) Entrepreneurial Finance and Private Equity
2) Corporate Restructuring

School of Mathematics
1) Stochastic Processes in Finance II
2) Partial Differential Equations

They also have a set of courses to prepare students for a PhD in Finance.
GaTech does not intend to reduce their incoming class size for Fall '21. They mentioned so in one of their events. They will be admitting around 50 students plus the 16 or so that deferred last year.- That sounds great, thanks! :)

I agree with both of you, GaTech is definitely a better option. Thanks for the info on the electives! They also have an option for pursuing a dual with CS or data science right? I believe that must be really useful for students as well...

I agree with both of you, GaTech is definitely a better option. Thanks for the info on the electives! They also have an option for pursuing a dual with CS or data science right? I believe that must be really useful for students as well...
The dual degree option is with CSE - Computational Science and Engineering,as far as I know

The dual degree option is with CSE - Computational Science and Engineering,as far as I know
Hi workofart, thanks for ur insights about electives, May I know that whether u have paid deposit fee for gatech, as u said deadline is 15 jan, in one of your posts, and also refund policy of it if we get other admits

Hi workofart, thanks for ur insights about electives, May I know that whether u have paid deposit fee for gatech, as u said deadline is 15 jan, in one of your posts, and also refund policy of it if we get other admits
It's a non-refundable deposit, which I paid. I didn't want to risk my chances of pursuing graduate school this year and hence decided to pay it.
I doubt there's a refund policy but you can always email Laura in case you have more questions. Did you get admitted too?

Thank you so much for your response, and one thing I want to know is , Do I need to mail them after submitting application, which I did not do till now.

I have applied in standard deadline
And please let me know my chances of admit, from ur perspective
Gre 316(162q,154v), low cgpa 4.2 from IIM, 5 years exp in mfg industries.

Anyone have more info about this? Like do you have to apply for that ahead of time or could I decide to pursue this once I reached campus? I already applied and had an interview with GT so I'm just waiting to hear back. An option to get a dual degree may be enough for me to attend if I am accepted

Anyone have more info about this? Like do you have to apply for that ahead of time or could I decide to pursue this once I reached campus? I already applied and had an interview with GT so I'm just waiting to hear back. An option to get a dual degree may be enough for me to attend if I am accepted
I'm not sure of this, but I remember reading you must apply after joining QCF. You probably need to have a minimum number of credits from the CSE department. I can't seem to find the details of it again, I'll let you know in case I do.

Back