• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chances of me being a quant?

I’ll be graduating soon with degrees in both computer science and physics. I have an interest in working at hedge funds, but there are a few things. I go to a state university instead of a university like Harvard, Wharton, or Stanford, I don’t have a finance background, and I don’t have as many connections when it comes to the finance world. Generally asking what are my chances of going into hedge funds as a quant?

Why do you want to be a quant? Why hedge funds? When I interview people, I look for evidence of an interest in finance beyond the desire to make money. There are many, many people from state schools and LACs who are successful quants, but they all have good stories. What is yours?

Why do you want to be a quant? Why hedge funds? When I interview people, I look for evidence of an interest in finance beyond the desire to make money. There are many, many people from state schools and LACs who are successful quants, but they all have good stories. What is yours?
Honestly it's the personal challenge. I believe I can bring something to the table even though I'm not a Harvard, Stanford, or Yale grad. Also I've always had an interest in the stock market and I feel becoming a quant is a good opportunity for me to learn it better. Besides that I currently have a GPA of 3.97 and I haven't done any finance internships. Just came here wondering if being a quant is still possible for me.

It would help you a great deal if you spend sometimes reading about the industry and what each role entails so you can better answer during interview like what Ken asked. A lack of industry research is one of the biggest downfalls for new entrees to the field.
You can get much of what you need you know from this list. These are the classics.
Master reading list for Quants, MFE (Financial Engineering) students

Generally speaking I heard that the desire for working at finance firms/hedge funds have been decreasing the past few years. IS this true?

Back