• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM(27k) vs Yale AM(30k) vs NYU MSMF

Better Choice

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm weighing my options for graduate programs and would appreciate insights from this community. Here's my background and what I'm aiming for:

Background:

• Mathematics & Finance major
  • Experience in data analysis, investment performance, and risk analysis
  • Research in large language models for patent clustering
  • High GPA and various finance-related co-ops
Goal:
  • Short-term: Work in quant roles, likely in a hedge fund or investment management
  • Long-term: Become a portfolio manager
Options:
  1. Chicago MS Financial Mathematics: This program has a strong reputation for mathematical rigor and offers a range of quant-related courses. It has close ties to the financial industry, and Chicago itself is a major financial hub.
  2. Yale Asset Management: This program is more specialized in asset management, with a focus on practical skills and connections to the industry. Yale's brand and alumni network are strong, and there's a robust focus on portfolio management.
  3. NYU Master in Math in Finance: Known for its quantitative approach, this program is in New York, which offers unparalleled access to the finance industry. It has a strong track record of placing graduates in quant and finance roles.
Considerations:
  • Location: Chicago, New Haven, and New York offer different opportunities and lifestyle considerations.
  • Industry Connections: Which program has the strongest links to the types of companies I want to work for?
  • Curriculum Focus: Is a broader quant background better, or is a more specialized asset management approach preferable?
I'd love to hear from anyone with experience in these programs or related industries. What would you recommend for someone with my goals and background?

Back