• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE MIT MFin vs Yale AM vs Cornell FE

MIT MFin vs Yale AM vs Cornell FE

• MIT MFin

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Yale Asset Management

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Cornell ORIE (FE Concentraion)

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Hi everyone!

I hope all of you have received or will soon receive that admissions email you have been waiting for. It's anxious while waiting, and there is always a way forward
even if you don't receive an offer from your dream school. Right now I would appreciate your guidance on my own admissions decision. I am lucky to be in a position to have received 3 offers and need help to make a well-informed decision in the next couple of weeks.

During my undergraduate studies in computer science at National Taiwan University, I was a research intern at a well-known hedge fund for a year. Since then, I've been working at a crypto HFT firm, focusing on using machine learning to develop high-frequency trading alphas. I aim to leverage a master's degree to land a Quantitative Researcher role at a top US buy-side fund. (or any fund, as long as it's in the US)

MIT Master in Finance (18 months)
Pros:
1. The most prestigious of the three schools, which can be helpful if returning to Taiwan or Asia in the future.
2. Flexible course selection. I could choose courses from the school of EECS to improve my computer science skills.
Cons:
1. The most expensive tuition and the largest cohort.
2. People engaged in the buy side market do not account for most of the program.
3. Some required courses are not useful in the future (Accounting, Cooperative Finance).

Yale Asset Management (12 months)
Pros:
1. Focus on buy-side thinking, which is in line with my future career goals.
2. The lowest tuition.
Cons:
1. The program is shorter, more difficult to find a job after graduation.
2. According to the Employment Report data, the starting salary of graduates is lower than in the previous two programs.
3. The program is newer and has slightly fewer network resources.

Cornell ORIE FE Concentration (18 months)
Pros:
1. In the third semester, the program will take place in Manhattan, which is a great location.
2. 100% summer internship placement rate, with a high probability of having a job after graduation.
Cons:
1. People engaged in the buy side market do not account for the majority of the program.
2. There are more sell-side-related courses in the curriculum.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

I think if you want to be a quant researcher on the buy-side, Yale's program shouldn't be an option. The curriculum isn't designed to prepare you to be that in my view. Don't think you can go wrong between Cornell and MIT though. Good Luck!

Back