• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Chicago MSFM Chicago MSFM - C placement exam

Hi guys,
I am admitted by the MSFM program this fall. Can someone enlighten me on the difficulty and contents of the C placement exam? To what extent should I prepare for it? Is that a theoretical or practical test?
Thanks in advance.

hi shuo,
what was ur gre score?, i am prospective student for chicago program!

Hi AMANE,
Nice to meet another prospective chicago MSFM student! I didn't do well in GRE... it is 1300.

hi shuo,
i bet in quants u source 800,
please can u tell me what r c placement exam , r they testing ur c.c++, skills.
i have from few of my friends that Chicago is not good place for financial studies in present scenario. no jobs at all.
how will rate these schools for jobs, ucla, Chicago, Rutgers, temple,
hey do u know how A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering is

I was wondering the same thing about the C placement exam. I want to place out of the C classes if possible but want to know how much preparation I need.

hi shuo,
i bet in quants u source 800,
please can u tell me what r c placement exam , r they testing ur c.c++, skills.
i have from few of my friends that Chicago is not good place for financial studies in present scenario. no jobs at all.
how will rate these schools for jobs, ucla, Chicago, Rutgers, temple,
hey do u know how A Primer for the Mathematics of Financial Engineering is

Hi AMANE,
I did not get 800 in quants... but my previous education was in physics and I have 3 years experience in C++ based Monte Carlo simulation. So I guess that kind of compensates for my GRE.
The c placement exam is a test taken before the beginning of the study, which is written in either c or c++. This is to see if you need to take the c programming classes afterwards. The c programming classes cost about $5000, so I really want to exempt from them. Besides these, there is no other information about this test at all...
No jobs at all? Are you serious? I heard that the program in Chicago is not very good, but can it be so bad since it is located in chicago and obviousely the best program in chicago.
I haven't applied for ucla, Rutgers and temple, so haven't done any investigation about them...
I don't know this book. But after a quick look, it seems a good book. It can't be too bad if it is recommended by the director of the MFE program in NYU.

By the way, if you have some friends in Chicago, maybe they know something about the c placement exam?

I was wondering the same thing about the C placement exam. I want to place out of the C classes if possible but want to know how much preparation I need.
Exactly. If we know in advance how much preparation on C/C++ is needed, the c classes worthy of $5000 can hardly be that useful.

shuo,
thanks for explanation,
i am surprise, even after huge experience in c language, yet the school ask for exam?, do they require certification or work ex in c language.
i have no experience in c language , i planned to give brain bench certificate exams for compensation, will that be enough.

shuo,
thanks for explanation,
i am surprise, even after huge experience in c language, yet the school ask for exam?, do they require certification or work ex in c language.
i have no experience in c language , i planned to give brain bench certificate exams for compensation, will that be enough.
They give you a placement exam before you start. It's their own test. You don't bring any certifications. You sit down for a test. And we are wondering how exhaustive the test is from anyone who knows.

Seems like no answers to this. Any alumni or current students who can share on the scope and difficulty of the C placement exam?

Back