• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF NY

Hi guys,

For those who went to CMU NY campus, did anyone have experience taking courses outside the curriculum, say "Computer Vision" from CS department? Just wondering if it's feasible doing this from distance. Also, is it possible to use it as elective at all?

Any insights/thoughts appreciated!

I think a few people took deep learning this semester from nyc, but it’s really tough to take classes over the regular curriculum and your gonna need a certain qpa to do so. But people do take electives and it can be done. You have to remember that there is a limitation as we are in ny but there’s some decent classes available if You decide to take them.

I think a few people took deep learning this semester from nyc, but it’s really tough to take classes over the regular curriculum and your gonna need a certain qpa to do so. But people do take electives and it can be done. You have to remember that there is a limitation as we are in ny but there’s some decent classes available if You decide to take them.
Awesome, really helpful, thanks for this! I think CMU has an extremely well-thought curriculum (if not the best of all) but some more flexibility in the electives would make it an even more attractive program.

Last edited:
Aewsome, really helpful, thanks for this! I think CMU has an extremely well-thought curriculum (if not the best of all) but some more flexibility in the electives would make it an even more attractive program.

I recently graduated the Pittsburgh campus. If you know you want to take extra classes, consider asking them to switch. It’s easier to access a wider variety of extra courses from the cs department and you have more support from visiting TA in person. Most phd level cs/ml courses have a project/poster component so you need to present in person...and many do not have online option either. Just an fyi. Regardless the program is good and location depends on if you prefer networking or extra class flexibility.

I recently graduated the Pittsburgh campus. If you know you want to take extra classes, consider asking them to switch. It’s easier to access a wider variety of extra courses from the cs department and you have more support from visiting TA in person. Most phd level cs/ml courses have a project/poster component so you need to present in person...and many do not have online option either. Just an fyi. Regardless the program is good and location depends on if you prefer networking or extra class flexibility.
Very well put, thank you and I will definitely consider switching in that case

Back