• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF vs Stanford MCF

CMU MSCF or Stanford MCF

• Total voters
Final Decision:
I will go to Stanford! Reasons are first Stanford's courses are pretty hard-core and second, it offers an option of transitioning into phd. Though being a phd was not in my plan but it is not a bad choice. Let's see what this decision will lead me to!
cya in stanford!

Hey man
So even Im caught up in a similar situation MCF Stanford and MSCF CMU
Can you tell me how was your experience. I intend to work and start my own quant fund down the lane

I've been looking and I think Stanfords program gets less of a rep than it deserves. It won't end up on QN's ranking because it's an ICME program and not purely quant focused, but they're really good at what they do and require a mathematical maturity not seen in any other MFE in the US. It is more comparable to the very math heavy El-Karoi over in France. They've got my vote though.

Edit: my reasoning for why it isn't currently ranked is wrong. They just don't care about providing data.

Last edited:
It is more comparable to the very math heavy El-Karoi over in France
I am French and have been accepted to the Master 1 at Institut Polytechnique leading to the Master 2 El Karoui. I am struggling to make a choice between there and other programs in the US. While I am not sure that I want to do all my career in the USA, I would like to get some experience. Since you are the first one on this forum that I see mentioning this program, would you have any idea of how well it would be recognized in the US and especially from the buy-side perspective (since it is more math heavy than most of the US Programs) ?

Also, how come no one really talks about it knowing that it was ranked number 4 by risk.net last year (after Princeton, Baruch, and Berkeley) ?

I am French and have been accepted to the Master 1 at Institut Polytechnique leading to the Master 2 El Karoui. I am struggling to make a choice between there and other programs in the US. While I am not sure that I want to do all my career in the USA, I would like to get some experience. Since you are the first one on this forum that I see mentioning this program, would you have any idea of how well it would be recognized in the US and especially from the buy-side perspective (since it is more math heavy than most of the US Programs) ?

Also, how come no one really talks about it knowing that it was ranked number 4 by risk.net last year (after Princeton, Baruch, and Berkeley) ?
I have seen quants I respect say grads from the program are probably the best well-rounded quants mathematical quants in the world - except they are a little deficient in machine learning compared to their other areas. I'm not sure what the perception in the US is though. The rule of thumb is that if you want to work in the US you should just go to a US program.

You're on QN right now, we all pay more attention to the QN rankings. People here mention it, but it doesn't get the attention on this forum of other top programs. I agree that it should. However, it requires more mathematical depth than most QN people can pretend to have, so we won't get as much random Econ or finance people who get calc III and a first linear algebra course and want opinions on their chances. The website is clear about real analysis, numerics, and other prerequisites.

Actually, this thread has been somewhat active this year - still not many of QN have historically looked at it. @Andy Nguyen has a comment on the first page of the thread reiterating that we know little about it.

edit: this is becoming just a collection of mcf threads. There appears to have actually been a decent minority of users here who shot for Stanford over the years. more common on QN than I thought. Still definitely a minority though. Way too many people looking at Columbia's MFE in comparison.

Last edited:
However, it requires more mathematical depth than most QN people can pretend to have, so we won't get as much random Econ or finance people who get calc III and a first linear algebra course and want opinions on their chances. The website is clear about real analysis, numerics, and other prerequisites.
Would you mind sharing where you saw this? I looked on their website but couldn’t find it

Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 9.19.03 AM.png

El Karoui is much more strict. This is the sheet their website's got telling students the math they need to be very comfortable with before they should consider applying to the M1 program which is a pre-requisite for the M2 (one of the five options of which is El Karoui).

Attachments

• M1 standards test.pdf
    163 KB · Views: 20
I have seen quants I respect say grads from the program are probably the best well-rounded quants mathematical quants in the world - except they are a little deficient in machine learning compared to their other areas. I'm not sure what the perception in the US is though. The rule of thumb is that if you want to work in the US you should just go to a US program.

You're on QN right now, we all pay more attention to the QN rankings. People here mention it, but it doesn't get the attention on this forum of other top programs. I agree that it should. However, it requires more mathematical depth than most QN people can pretend to have, so we won't get as much random Econ or finance people who get calc III and a first linear algebra course and want opinions on their chances. The website is clear about real analysis, numerics, and other prerequisites.
Hi Mike, thanks for sharing! But I have got a question for a seasoned professional such as yourself...does knowing real analysis really help with the day-to-day work as a quant? I mean...mathematical rigor is good, but there's got to be a point where return starts diminishing.

Isn't a good program one that strikes a perfect balance between the math and the practical applications (mostly computing and programing)? I didn't apply to CMU because I missed its deadline (not that I would've gotten in this year anyway), but I feel that CMU is one of the few programs that does a good job striking that balance.

Hi Mike, thanks for sharing! But I have got a question for a seasoned professional such as yourself...does knowing real analysis really help with the day-to-day work as a quant? I mean...mathematical rigor is good, but there's got to be a point where return starts diminishing.

Isn't a good program one that strikes a perfect balance between the math and the practical applications (mostly computing and programing)? I didn't apply to CMU because I missed its deadline (not that I would've gotten in this year anyway), but I feel that CMU is one of the few programs that does a good job striking that balance.
I am in no way a seasoned professional. I have held a single private wealth management internship and it was in no way quantitative.

The El-Karoui quants (most of the good one's anyway) typically come from the undergrad ecole program and also have two semesters of functional analysis and a bunch of other stuff. Their mathematical ability is just leagues beyond where almost all US students are at. They don't actually use it on the job, but they do pick up models and ideas faster because of it.

Edit: your account is even 15 months older than mine. I'm barely a year old here.

I am in no way a seasoned professional. I have held a single private wealth management internship and it was in no way quantitative.

The El-Karoui quants (most of the good one's anyway) typically come from the undergrad ecole program and also have two semesters of functional analysis and a bunch of other stuff. Their mathematical ability is just leagues beyond where almost all US students are at. They don't actually use it on the job, but they do pick up models and ideas faster because of it.

Edit: your account is even 15 months older than mine. I'm barely a year old here.
Thanks! I see where you are coming from. Perhaps studying those hardcore subjects is good training for the mind?

I hope you are right about that, then at least I have the comfort of knowing that grinding through Folland all those years ago wasn't a total waste of time. But I do want to mention one observation I made during my school years - people who were REALLY good at math for some reason had a high tendency of being technophobic. In short, they didn't like programming. Then again, it was some 15 years ago, perhaps things are different now.

Lol I have only regularly visited this forum since last October.

El Karoui is much more strict. This is the sheet their website's got telling students the math they need to be very comfortable with before they should consider applying to the M1 program which is a pre-requisite for the M2 (one of the five options of which is El Karoui).
To add on to this, the M1 Applied Mathematics and Statistics that you are referring to is not necessarily a pre-requisite for the M2 Probability and Finance (El Karoui), any student that possesses the equivalency of an M1 in mathematics (from a French institution or elsewhere) can apply. That being said, from what I understood through discussions with the responsible of the program and alumni, this specific M1 seems to make the passage into the M2 El Karoui easier compared to students from other programs, even though one still needs to accomplish "great academic results" during the M1 to get admitted into the M2 El Karoui (which seems to be the most competitive out of the 4 M2 options).

Another important element to note is that the courses for the M1 are all taught in English while the large majority of (if not all) courses for the M2 El Karoui are taught in French (making the French language a pre-requisite for admission)

Last edited:
To add on to this, the M1 Applied Mathematics and Statistics that you are referring to is not necessarily a pre-requisite for the M2 Probability and Finance (El Karoui), any student that possesses the equivalency of an M1 in mathematics (from a French institution or elsewhere) can apply. That being said, from what I understood through discussions with the responsible of the program and alumni, this specific M1 seems to make the passage into the M2 El Karoui easier compared to students from other programs, even though one still needs to accomplish "great academic results" during the M1 to get admitted into the M2 El Karoui (which seems to be the most competitive out of the 4 M2 options).

Another important element to note is that the courses for the M1 are all taught in English while the large majority of (if not all) courses for the M2 El Karoui are taught in French (making the French language a pre-requisite for admission)
Yeah, this is all true. From what I've read, most of El Karoui's cohort comes from the M1 and I chose not to make the distinction as the prerequisites are the same. Have you gathered the same?

Yeah, this is all true. From what I've read, most of El Karoui's cohort comes from the M1 and I chose not to make the distinction as the prerequisites are the same. Have you gathered the same?
Surprisingly, I would argue the opposite. From the LinkedIn research that I have done using their database of alumni (I searched probably about 50+), I realized that most of the students actually did not come from this M1. I have not done any concrete statistics so don't quote me on that, but from what I remember, a majority seemed to come from other master programs in Paris

Back