• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU MSCF vs CBS MSFE

Hi! I've received offers from CMU MSCF (NY) and Columbias Business School MSFE and would like to hear advices on how to choose. I know CMU MSCF is well-established and myself also lean more to CMU. But CBS MSFE has a smaller class size, also I attended their admitted students events and the directors sound very responsible and well connected.

I am now an undergrad and will attend master's program with no full time work experience, so landing a job is my main goal. Can someone provide more insights on the career service of the two programs?

Also I was interviewed and put on waitlist by UCB MFE and am also waiting for MIT MFin's decision. It would be super helpful if someone could also talk about these two programs. Thanks a lot!!!!

Can't comment on Columbia, but MSCF incoming class is typically quite heavily new grads with no full time employment experience, and typically has pretty top tier employment stats compared to other MFEs (the 1.5 year curriculum is pretty well suited for people with no job experience because it gives you a year to learn - do an internship - come back and learn more about areas you are potentially more interested in - then go work). Berkeley, in my opinion, is a better suited to people who already come in with experience since it is only a 1 year program.

Can't comment on Columbia, but MSCF incoming class is typically quite heavily new grads with no full time employment experience, and typically has pretty top tier employment stats compared to other MFEs (the 1.5 year curriculum is pretty well suited for people with no job experience because it gives you a year to learn - do an internship - come back and learn more about areas you are potentially more interested in - then go work). Berkeley, in my opinion, is a better suited to people who already come in with experience since it is only a 1 year program.
Thank you so much! This is very insightful. MSCF sounds like a better fit for undergrads straightly going to master's.

Back