• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF CMU-MSCF??

Though, MSCF is one of the top finance programs in the country, their tuition is a whooping $120, 000. Most of the students take a bank loan and pursue this program. After graduation, suppose a student earns $100,000 (approximate average salary reported in the website), it would take him/her at-least 3-4 years to pay back the loan. Additionally, I am assuming that the economy stays good throughout. Is this program worth the money because for the same amount, you can also get an MBA from a top school?

MBA and MSCF prepare you for two completely different things; it's like comparing apples and oranges...

The money is generally worth it though in terms of job placement.

@ euroazn: I was referring to an MBA with finance focus. Isn't an MBA with finance focus more valuable that a MFE degree in terms of job placement?

It depends on the school. If it's not a top MBA, it's not worth it. Same goes for MFE, but the rankings are totally seperate.

How did you get $120K ?
And, doesn't it depend on what you want to do with your career ? As far as I know, MBA and MFE lead to two different career paths.
I am not sure what MBA-MFE is, it does sound more expensive, hahaha.
By the way, NYU's business school(Stern) is very reputable, at least in NYC.

Let's not compare orange and apple here

MBA requires work experience. There are hundreds of MBA programs out there and the likes of Harvard, Wharton, aren't the kind attracting typical MFE candidates. You won't see any MBA program predominated with international students from India, China whereas it's the case in most MFE programs.

Typically, undergrads go straight into banking as analyst, work out their two years, go to MBA programs and get an associate positions in IB, consulting, etc. That's the reason they are usually paid more than MFE graduates.

Now, MFE applicants are mostly people with little or no work experience who has done BS, MS, PhD in hard science. The type of jobs they get are far different from MBA graduates.

And there is no point in complaining about the price tag at CMU or any other program. It is what it is. There are comparable programs out there that are much more affordable. The programs will try to convince you that it's worth the price tag. You have to do the research and convince yourself.

Andy, thanks for the explanation. My next question: Do people with a MFE degree already pursue an MBA later in their career?

I already got my MBA from a top 15-20 business school. Now I am going for an MFE and targeting top 5-10. Let's see how this work out...

Back