• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE CMU vs UCB

CMU or UCB

• CMU

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • UCB

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters
UCB Pros: Strong brand name, nice climate in Cali, 1 year
UCB Cons: It's on the west coast (I want to work in NYC), Doesn't start until spring 2021, mandatory prep courses before it begins
CMU Pros: Strong name within quantitative fields, closer to NY
CMU Cons: In pittsburgh, courses are "mini's" so less time to spend going in depth on topics

CMU NYC classes are also “minis”. And fortunately or unfortunately, they still go quite in depth on topics.

CMU NYC classes are also “minis”. And fortunately or unfortunately, they still go quite in depth on topics.
I hadn't meant to imply the NYC classes were any different, but I see how my wording suggests that. And I would say that is fortunate!

I'm still waiting for my CMU decision, but I've seen and heard nothing but good things about the program. Although I'll probably still attend MIT MFin, if I wanted to work purely as a quant in NYC, I would take CMU in a heartbeat. CMU has the highest peer assessment score and probably for good reason.

I'm still waiting for my CMU decision, but I've seen and heard nothing but good things about the program. Although I'll probably still attend MIT MFin, if I wanted to work purely as a quant in NYC, I would take CMU in a heartbeat. CMU has the highest peer assessment score and probably for good reason.
Yes hopefully we all get good news from CMU tomorrow!

I would choose CMU, they will best help you get the job you want. They have great placement across the board. After a couple of years of working; the school brand diminishes and what matters is what you've done, unless you try to change industries. Good luck to yall!

Back