• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CNBC's 10 week trading contest $1,000,000

No entry fee, no downside other than a serious reality check.

Last years winner put up returns of 400% in about eight weeks.

There are certain restaints regarding the trading rules (you can only go long, no margin, and stocks must have market cap of $500M by 3/2/07), but as the Frog in Geico commercial eloquently states, If someone offered you the chance at $1,000,000 with no risk, would you say No thanks, I dont like the rules??? ;)

http://contests.cnbc.com/milliondollar/main.do

Put a reference on me so you can get your referral fee, Max.
I'm in.

I'm not going to collect references :) I don't think additional 2-3K will make a difference while betting $1 mil aiming at a 400% return ;)

Here is a story of last year's winner:

Ko and the other contestants started in early April with a virtual $1 million portfolio. Ko's portfolio was worth about $2 million when he put the entire amount on Escala Group (ESCL, news, msgs). The stock had had hit a 12-month high of $35 in February but fell precipitously after Spanish prosecutors declared its majority shareholder and only major customer -- Afinsa Bienes Tangibles -- insolvent after raiding the company's offices in an investigation into a stamp-investment program. He bought near the bottom, around $4, and his portfolio surged as Escala rapidly recovered.

He ended the contest with $5 million -- a 400% gain.

Full story at: http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/StrategyLab/Rnd15/P2/Strategy.aspx

Wow, a classic case of "buy low, sell high". I should look for some stocks that at the bottom now and pray that it rebounds when the competition ends.

Anyone knows any pending lawsuit ? :)

First one to go (suggested by Curt Ward as an example):

New Century Financial Corp. NEW

Was traded more than $50 per share last May, $30 per share this February;
As for now it's: $3.21 per share.

Good luck! ;)

Back