• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Coding boot-camp from Columbia?

I am planning on pursuing a MFE in the coming years and have a solid but not great math background, but a weak programming background. I want to pursue Baruch's Pre-MFE, take courses from Berkeley extension for Python, and do all of the QuantNet courses.

On top of this, I am thinking of maybe pursuing Columbia's Fintech coding Bootcamp (linked below).

Do you guys think this would help my recruitment for MFE? Also, do you think that the additional value gained from this program would be worth the marginal time/cost commitment?

Last edited:
I am planning on pursuing a MFE in the coming years and have a solid but not great math background, but a weak programming background. I want to pursue Baruch's Pre-MFE, take courses from Berkeley extension for Python, and do all of the QuantNet courses.

On top of this, I am thinking of maybe pursuing Columbia's Fintech coding Bootcamp (linked below).

Do you guys think this would help my recruitment for MFE? Also, do you think that the additional value gained from this program would be worth the marginal time/cost commitment?

I did it courtesy of my employer at the time. You won't further your python coding skills much at all, but you will learn quite a few finance/econ concepts if you don't have that background. The best part of the course for me was learning solidity and learning how to code a smart contract for the Ethereum blockchain at the time. You learned how to mint a coin and make an NFT. Cool stuff but not directly useful for the quant space, at least not yet!

I'd personally recommend the Python course offered here over the FinTech bootcamp if you want to actually learn about Python and improve. The Asset Backed Security pricing project at the end is going to have much more weight than minting a coin on MetaMask.

Gotcha, doesn't seem relevant at all then. I have no interest in blockchain/crypto. Just looking to develop whatever coding skills I'll need for MFE

Gotcha, doesn't seem relevant at all then. I have no interest in blockchain/crypto. Just looking to develop whatever coding skills I'll need for MFE
You'll become good with numpy and pandas manipulation using a jupyter notebook, along with some cool charting/graphing packages, but you won't code a single class.

I forgot that the last three levels of the QuantNet python course has you coding in a Jupyter notebook to learn some of that. It is like the new excel for the more technically inclined traders nowadays, so it's not totally useless if you end up in a role that has you interacting with traders or PMs on the regular.

You'll become good with numpy and pandas manipulation using a jupyter notebook, along with some cool charting/graphing packages, but you won't code a single class.

I forgot that the last three levels of the QuantNet python course has you coding in a Jupyter notebook to learn some of that. It is like the new excel for the more technically inclined traders nowadays, so it's not totally useless if you end up in a role that has you interacting with traders or PMs on the regular.
Great feedback.

Messaging you back now. Thanks for reaching out

Back