• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Coding on CV

I’m a little confused how to show I know code.

Putting a certification on my CV isn’t really enough, but then again, do recruiters really look at individual projects? Aside from technical interviews/leetcode, is there really any tangible way to show that YOU CAN code and haven’t just put it as a half-arsed ‘skill’ in your CV.

Thanks!

Hi hotdeaths, of course as the recent news shows, anyone can lie on their CV.:) But HR interviewers are good and will spot the flaky claims very quickly. For coding, the leet code interview will do it. So do put your certifications, or if it is a course you took during your MSc or undergrad. And if it is in a project, I would strongly encourage you to put your projects. See your CV as the beginning of a conversation. Everything you write, practice explaining it clearly as in an interview. Make sure your bullets are not long-winded and you can explain them. Recruiters do pay attention to projects. Good luck !

Having QN C++ certificate states exactly what you know. It's quantified.

Maybe for quantitative roles, but not necessarily other roles.

I have a Udemy course in SQL. I know some SQL, but there are tons of SQL courses available, and they all give certificates for completion. Unless a recruiter knows of the specific course/course provider (such as a university) it is pretty useless.

And how do I know that your course is ‘recognised’ by recruiters other than your word? It could be, but also it could not be, in which case I may as well self-teach.

Maybe for quantitative roles, but not necessarily other roles.

And how do I know that your course is ‘recognised’ by recruiters other than your word? It could be, but also it could not be, in which case I may as well self-teach.
The course Dr. Duffy posted is pretty well known.

This is a bit creepy, but also just qualifies as due diligence in job searching/networking given the internet is as connected as it is. If you go through linked in, or other avenues, Dr. Duffy is very well connected with other's in the quant world. That's actually his course he linked, this site (the largest quant site I've found, in English at least, not sure about the Chinese ones) partnered with him, and the perennially top ranked FE program, to create it. And this site gets good traffic across time, and has an established reputation.

There are almost 40,000 members, and the member-guest ratio is typically over 4x. Due to the nature of the site, everyone who visits this place more than once or twice is either in the industry already, going to be in the industry soon, or wants to be in the industry. One of those members is @Eric Jacquier (who just replied to your post). He the executive director of Boston's Masters program in this area. And almost all of these people probably know what the course is, and what it gives you, because it has good word of mouth and because Dr. Duffy posts it in reply to every single coding question (He is very persistent in this).

Someone else can chime in, but that's what I've learned from just a couple days as a member and some very basic google searches.

A small remark: I was the first C++ / OOP programmer in the Netherlands (1990). So, I didn't come down in the last shower. :ninja:

Last edited:
Back