• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia and NYU arms race

If you follow higher education institutions in New York City, you would have noticed the expansion of the two local biggest names, Columbia University and NYU. After merging with Polytech, NYU is working on expanding its Greenwich Village campus. Columbia recently got its uptown campus expansion plan approved despite heavy criticism from local community organization.

The article below from a dept chair at Columbia University is an interesting take.
Op-Ed Contributor - Universities Are Heading Toward Academic Bankruptcy - NYTimes.com

With unemployment soaring, higher education has never been more important to society or more widely desired. But the collapse of our public education system and the skyrocketing cost of private education threaten to make college unaffordable for millions of young people. If recent trends continue, four years at a top-tier school will cost $330,000 in 2020, $525,000 in 2028 and $785,000 in 2035.

Yet most faculty and administrators refuse to acknowledge this crisis. Consider what is taking place here in New York City. Rather than learning to live within their means, Columbia University, where I teach, and New York University are engaged in a fierce competition to expand as widely and quickly as possible. Last spring, N.Y.U. announced plans to increase its physical plant by 40 percent over the next 20 years; this summer Columbia secured approval for its $6.3 billion expansion in Upper Manhattan. N.Y.U. is also opening a new campus in Abu Dhabi this fall.

The financial arrangements for these projects remain obscure, but it is clear that they will not be completed without increasing the universities’ already significant and perhaps unsustainable levels of debt. Last year Columbia reported $1.4 billion in outstanding debt against a $5.89 billion endowment. N.Y.U. had a staggering $2.22 billion debt with a relatively modest $2.2 billion endowment — one that had shrunk by more than 11 percent over the previous fiscal year. For universities, as for banks, the question is not only the value of current and projected assets but also the availability of liquidity so they can pay off interim debt obligations during a time of financial instability.

$785,000 in 2035?!

WHAT THE HELL?!

I want any sensible person to look at that number and tell me with a straight face that money shouldn't be part of the consideration when choosing a career path.

Wow. If you had a child this year, start saving that half a million for their education. Or, you could do the public university way, like Andy and I did (UCLA, Baruch).

NYU has a campus?

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Wow. If you had a child this year, start saving that half a million for their education. Or, you could do the public university way, like Andy and I did (UCLA, Baruch).

I went to ucla too!

Back