• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MFE Columbia FE Class Size/Admission Rate

Wow... So there is almost nobody from places other than China, India, Europe,
USA? That sounds weird.
By Chinese, I mean ABC, CBC, and Chinese nationality. Correction, if you want to be exact, there is 2 korean and on american-Korean. There is one Singaporean that is "Chinese". Also there is 5 Canadian but they are all different heritage. I dont know how specific.........
Let me change Chinese to Asian, maybe thats better suited.

@Phil_L How do you find the coursework and how hard is it to get good grades? I am asking because on the website, it says that "students need to achieve grades of B- or higher in each of the three fundamental core courses offered in the first term". I come from an university where average grades are usually a lot lower than B-.

To be honest, no one really tells you their salary unless you are super close. So I can't really help you there. But, generally( from a few of my closer friends) its about 7K per month base + stipends.

@Phil_L How do you find the coursework and how hard is it to get good grades? I am asking because on the website, it says that "students need to achieve grades of B- or higher in each of the three fundamental core courses offered in the first term". I come from an university where average grades are usually a lot lower than B-.
I find it quite difficult. I would say my grades are at the lower end of the spectrum here.

To be honest, no one really tells you their salary unless you are super close. So I can't really help you there. But, generally( from a few of my closer friends) its about 7K per month base + stipends.
Thanks a ton! Also how tough is the coursework? Any specific courses you liked there?

Thanks a ton! Also how tough is the coursework? Any specific courses you liked there?
I think it varies for different people. There are people that find it to be a joke. On the other hand, I find it quite difficult. I have only take 4 last term and this term taking another 4. I like their electives better than the core.

I think it varies for different people. There are people that find it to be a joke. On the other hand, I find it quite difficult. I have only take 4 last term and this term taking another 4. I like their electives better than the core.
What percentage of the course requires coding? - Thanks for taking your time out to answer questions here!

the classes r not hard for students who have related professional experiences and have taken the equivalent math classes in undergrad (e.g. linear programming, stochastic processes, simulation, etc.) the programming component in each class is rather weak except for the designated programming classes. and ofc, somebody with 0 programming experience would find it rather overwhelming, as they throw c++, python, r, matlab to you all in once. haugh, iyengar, blanchet, and bienstock are among the best professors. capponi and leung need to polish their communication skills...

the classes r not hard for students who have related professional experiences and have taken the equivalent math classes in undergrad (e.g. linear programming, stochastic processes, simulation, etc.) the programming component in each class is rather weak except for the designated programming classes. and ofc, somebody with 0 programming experience would find it rather overwhelming, as they throw c++, python, r, matlab to you all in once. haugh, iyengar, blanchet, and bienstock are among the best professors. capponi and leung need to polish their communication skills...
Alright. Sounds fun man, thanks a ton!

Back