• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia Finmath vs. Columbia MSFE vs UChicago Finmath

I'm a strong student with a great math background and basic programming skills.
I was accepted into both programs at Columbia as well as U of C with a significant scholarship.
My goal is to ultimately be in trading or asset management. All three schools are in great locations and are ranked fairly high and I am having a tough time choosing between them.
If my goal is to build a network, improve my programming skills and further my career, which program would be best for me?
Any and all advice is good advice.

Congratulations! I was accepted into Columbia MFE as well. Did you hear from UChicago recently?

Congratulations! I was accepted into Columbia MFE as well. Did you hear from UChicago recently?
Thanks, and Congrats to you too!
I have not formally received the acceptance but spoke with the director of the math department and the director of admissions who said that my candidacy was strong and I would likely be accepted with the scholarship.
I normally would have waited for confirmation to post this but Columbia Engineering wants an answer by march 3rd and I am running out of time.
For such a huge decision I would like to clarify all of my options before finalizing my choice.

If your primary target is prop trading, being based in Chicago might be an advantage. Otherwise, putting cost aside, Columbia MSFE is often held in better regards than UChicago's finmath (dig through past threads and rankings). That said, only you can decide whether you can justify the higher cost - some people got as much as $60k scholarship from UChicago last year, that's not a trivial amount.

If your primary target is prop trading, being based in Chicago might be an advantage. Otherwise, putting cost aside, Columbia MSFE is often held in better regards than UChicago's finmath (dig through past threads and rankings). That said, only you can decide whether you can justify the higher cost - some people got as much as $60k scholarship from UChicago last year, that's not a trivial amount.
Thank you,
I've heard that Chicago is a hub for options trading and Citadel is based there. I am a little torn about the cost since in the grand scheme of a career the 60 thousand could be negligible if the school choice really significantly impacts the job I would get. The question is whether or not it does.
But it seems that noone is recommending Columbia Finmath over Columbia MSFE.

in the grand scheme of a career the 60 thousand could be negligible if the school choice really significantly impacts the job I would get
Both of those points are things you really need to decide for yourself. Look at the program alums on linkedin and see if they're doing what you want to be doing after you finish the program.

I'm not familiar with Columbia's finmath so I won't comment on that.

Both of those points are things you really need to decide for yourself. Look at the program alums on linkedin and see if they're doing what you want to be doing after you finish the program.

I'm not familiar with Columbia's finmath so I won't comment on that.
Thank you for your help

Thanks, and Congrats to you too!
I have not formally received the acceptance but spoke with the director of the math department and the director of admissions who said that my candidacy was strong and I would likely be accepted with the scholarship.
I normally would have waited for confirmation to post this but Columbia Engineering wants an answer by march 3rd and I am running out of time.
For such a huge decision I would like to clarify all of my options before finalizing my choice.
Hey just wondering about your conversation with the director of the math department. Did you have a formal interview scheduled or was this a conversation that occurred where he mentioned that you would likely be accepted with scholarship? U of Chicago is one of my top schools and I have not heard anything from them and I'm getting slightly impatient.

To help with your question, I would chose Chicago. Unless you have a strong desire to live and work in NYC, I think Chicago would be a better bet, due to the amount of trading that goes on there and the expected scholarship.

Back