• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Columbia MAFN Columbia MAFN program

I just got accepted to Columbia's MAFN program. I really cannot afford to fund my schooling without some kind off help. I was thinking about taking out loans to fund my schooling. Do you think that is a good idea? I am an international student which means I have to take private loans, and I am worried whether I will be able to find a job to pay off my debt. I am really confused!!! My professors suggested it is not a good idea to go to grad school without a fellowship. What do you think?

Majority of students take loans for these kind of professional degrees. The risk of not having a job upon graduation is something we all will face.

I am taking a loan, a big one, and so are majority of the students. I don't think many can afford 50K+ a year by themselves.

Thanks!!! I will call them on Monday. It was a risk I was willing to take until my professors told me that it was a bad idea. One of them said that with the current situation in the US, I will have to find a hard time landing a job right out of school.
I think as an international student, one has a month to land a job before OPT expires.

What is the minimum amount I will be making in a year? So, I can prepare for the worst.

Thanks again!!!

On the topic of OPT, do some reading here OPT (Optional Practical Training) - Forum | Quant Network
It's in your best interest to learn more about the in/out of immigration rules pertaining to international students.

Your minimum salary is $0 in case you don't get a job. It's probably will be negative net since you spend money for living expense.

Think of education of something in the bigger picture, not to get you money next year.

I am really not worried about making money that much. I am just worried about leaving my co-signer with a lot of debt. I am willing to take the risk, but I am worried about dragging someone along the way.

Back