• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MFE, CMU MSCF or NYU Fin Math for Asia Bulge Bracket trading

Jae

Hi all,

I am currently working at a NY BB as a first yr sales and trading analyst. I m going to take a PT master, finish ASAP (within 1.5 yrs) and go back to Asia (at the time I finish my analyst program. I have 2 questions.

1. Of these 3 schools' FE or master programs, how would Asian BB trading desks rank them?

2. For someone who has been in the industry but doesn't have a good undergrad school name or advanced degree (master, MBA, phd), which program would be the best fit for me? (minimum time, not many work but still good reputation at Asia)

Many Thanks!

1) How are you going to finish a PT program in 1.5 years?
2) Which Columbia program do you refer to? Columbia MFE is FT only
3) NYU MathFin has a PT program but its career services are for FT students. Most of its graduates end up in NYC.

Of the three, I would think CMU may be your best fit (good alumni base in Asia, highly organized career services) but at the same time, I don't think you are cut out for this line of work with that mind set (there isn't any "minimum time, not many work" program). And you are vastly underestimating the amount of work you need to put in. Many PT students drop out of these programs after the first semester because they couldn't keep up.

Keep your job, finish your analyst rotation and then try to move to your bank's Asia office.

Thanks for the answer! I have a question: Can I finish IEOR in 1 year? Does the department allow PT to do so? Any suggestion about choosing MSOR to fulfill my goal? (no need for knowledge, just a master degree with good reputation)

You realize that the full time programs themselves are 1-1.5 years long? And that the part time programs are merely programs in which you can take 2 classes each semester instead of the full 4? And therefore the questions you ask about finishing in 1/1.5 years as a part time student are basically nonsensical?

Back