• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MSFE vs. Imperial MathFin

Hello everyone!

I'm grateful to have been accepted into both Columbia Financial Engineering and Imperial Mathematics and Finance programs, and I'm finding it challenging to choose between them. I'd really value your perspectives on these two options.

Background: I'm a French student in a top-tier "Grande Ecole" (equivalent to a master's degree), majoring in applied maths. I don't have any full-time work experience, but did two internships (one in strategy consulting and one in asset allocation). My objective is to work in quantitative research in a buy-side firm. I would enjoy an experience in the US but plan on working in Europe in ≈ 3 years.

My current opinion: I'm leaning towards Columbia at the moment because I already have a recognized degree in Europe, and I'd like to try the US. However, I'm questioning whether this reasoning is sound and what the job prospects in London are for someone with a degree from Columbia vs. Imperial.

My 2 cents is that you’re better off at Imperial if you want to pursue a career in the UK in QR because of the program’s connections. If you want to stay in US a bit, Columbia might be a better choice…
Also, given the fact that you pursued X-Ens, Columbia or Imperial won’t make a huge difference in the French job market. Your experience is what will most valuable on top of French education.

Back