• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Columbia MSOR or Northwestern MS in Analytics?

Columbia MSOR or Northwestern MS in Analytics?

• Total voters
Hi,

I have offers from both the above.
I'de like suggestions about which would be a better program to join and say from the long term perspective w.r.t the job scene , location, Uni (keeping in mind all factors)

Here are the major points I gave a thought to -

Northwestern:
1. Smaller class size of around 35 (May be a major advantage)
2. Mainly students find jobs in Chicago and the bay area (not NY - disadvantage?)
3. Big data is quite an upcoming field
4.More focus on coding than math+ Finance
5.Almost Mini Ivy status

Columbia :
1.Ivy league - Big brand name
2. Class size - 200 (Slightly concerning - too big?)
3. The concentration - Business Analytics would help me get similar roles which I could get after Northwestern?
4. More focus on Math than coding.

- Should 200 class size of Columbia be a concern?
- Is it probable that someone may get interview calls in Data Analytics industry(say the bay area - just in case you want to see the other side) after a Columbia MSOR?
- Any other concerns? w.r.t both Unis/courses?

Northwestern is a great school, but this is a new program. While Northwestern is renowned for its business school, especially for marketing, and there is nothing wrong with its CS program, I don't think its rank for CS matches the school's overall #10-15 US News rank.

For a financial analytics role- say, working for Barclays POINT or Bloomberg, Columbia MSOR may be the safer bet. Proximity to NYC, the fact that analytics hiring managers are VERY familiar with Columbia (many of them will have gone to school there), and the school's overall brand on the street really help. There are several Columbia MSFE and MSOR students on QuantNet (they ARE separate programs and MSFE students are ahead of you in line for recruiting), and I'd like to hear if they have anything to say on this before offering further comment.

Congratulations. If your biggest problem today is deciding between a school like Northwestern or a school like Columbia for a graduate degree, you're having a pretty darned good day.

Last edited:
MSOR is more flexible.
A current student told me that the class size is less than 200.

Last edited:
Back