• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Computer Engineer want to switch to Quant, please advise

I am working as Software Developer for the past 6 years at one of the software companies in Bangalore. India. I have a bachelor's degree in Computer Science and my exposure to math is limited to graduate level mathematics (Calculus, probability, Fourier Transforms).

I would like to make a career switch as Quant. With respect to that I want to pursue either a course (preferably part-time) in Financial Mathematics in the US. Given this:

1. What are my chances of getting admitted to any of the colleges in USA?

2. Will this be enough to get a job as Quant? Or is a PHD necessary?

3. Is a part-time course considered inferior to a full-time course in quant circles?

4. My current age is around 29 years, Is age a factor? Are there entry level quants who are 33-35 years old?

5. Are there any online courses/book I can follow to increase my probability of being accepted in a Math Finance degree in good college in US?

PS:
1. I prefer part-time course as I have a family to support.

You can't do a part-time program in the US unless you are a resident or citizen. By law, all international students must study full-time.
Nobody asks if you obtain your degree ft or pt. Some programs will only provide job placement help for its ft students.

Start off with this reading list Master reading list for Quants, MFE - QuantNetwork - Financial Engineering Forum
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your quick response, I am planning to work in US as a software engineer and along with that pursue a degree in Mathematical Finance.

What about my age? Will that be a hindrance?

Andy,

I have very little exposure to math, which I learned as part of degree in Computer Science:
1. Basic Calculus (differentation & Integration)
2. Some amount of probability theory
3. Fourier Transforms

Will my background in computer science, and my work as software developer for 6 years be enough to get into a good US college for MFE?

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your quick response, I am planning to work in US as a software engineer and along with that pursue a degree in Mathematical Finance.

What about my age? Will that be a hindrance?
If you work as a software engineer in a IB or a hedge fund, then the changes of getting into an MFE is better. Also, your employer may reimburse the course fee.

If you work as a software engineer in a IB or a hedge fund, then the changes of getting into an MFE is better. Also, your employer may reimburse the course fee.
Thanks elliot, there are practically no hedge funds in India; I will have to move to US on a H1 try finding a job in Hedge fund and get into a MFE

Back