• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Considering a Master's in Mathematics and Finance vs. Transitioning from Software Engineering to Quantitative Trading

I just graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science this June. I completed two internships, one of which was at a FAANG company as a Software Developer. I have received a full-time offer from this FAANG company, and I will be joining in two months as a full-time Software Engineer.

I am interested in entering the quant world as a Quantitative Trader or Quantitative Researcher , though I find QT more interesting. After some research, I discovered that I can pursue a Master's in Mathematics and Finance. Alternatively, I've heard that I can continue in my software engineering role and eventually transition into the quant world as a QT.

Now, I’m trying to decide on the best course of action. Is it worth leaving my job to pursue a Master's in Mathematics and Finance? How challenging is it to get into an MFE program at Oxford, Imperial, or UCL with a Bachelor's in Computer Science? Or would it be easier to transition into the quant world from my current role as a Software Engineer?

Edit : Personally, I prefer pursuing a Master's in Mathematics and Finance, but since this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I want to make sure I can get into top universities like Imperial or Oxford. I am also open to suggestions, such as pursuing a Master's degree in the USA.

Last edited:
Back