• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell FE v/s NYU Tandon MFE v/s Georgia QCF

Cornell FE v/s NYU Tandon MFE v/s Georgia QCF

• Cornell FE

• NYU Tandon MFE

• Georgia QCF

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi! I currently have admits in the above places. About my background- I'm a CS + Econ major from India with internship experience as a quant dev at a BB. I wanted to list down my thoughts about the following places and was hoping to know if I'm looking at the picture correctly.

Firstly, what options am I considering after grad school-
1) Quant Trading (seems fun but heard about the work pressure aspect. Also very selective at least among MFEs . So it's a dream role of sorts.) {Preferable}
2) Quant Research (heard there's a Ph.D. preference in the most competitive roles. Again, dream role of sorts) {Preferable}
3) Quant Development (given my CS background, this seems like a viable option provided I brush up on my coding (Leet, Hackerrank, etc) and stick to the finance coursework diligently. Also, realize that I need to work on the nitty-gritty of C++/Python beyond just the DSA aspects.) {Possible if I focus on this track ASAP}
4) Quant Portfolio Management (from my research so far, it seems like this role requires the standard Interview Prep (the Green Book) plus a diligent selection of coursework in the MFE programs. While this certainly seems like a great option, I'd like to take some more time soaking in the MFE curriculum before I prioritize this accordingly). {Possible if I focus on this track ASAP}

Given my preferences, from a pure financial engineering curriculum point of view, plus reputation metrics in general-- it seems like the consensus is Cornell > NYU Tandon > Georgia.

1) Georgia does have the option to add on a CS curriculum which makes it very appealing. How much does a CS degree matter if I already have an undergrad CS degree and just code on Leet and stuff on my own (for quant dev roles in particular)? (Also, Georgia is significantly cheaper.)

2) Is the Cornell > NYU Tandon thing accurate if priorities are course structure and career services? It'd be great if someone could give me a better comparison because I do have a scholarship from NYU which makes that an attractive option. Also, why does Cornell typically have a low employment rate at graduation? (based on the ranking stats over the past few years).

3) Lastly, while I do really, really want to work in the quant finance field, in the off-case that I do not get into the field post-MFE, is venturing out into other non-quant development roles post-MFE viable?

Please do feel free to correct me if I'm looking at this the wrong way. Or, just give me free advice in general. Thanks a ton!

Great post. Similar situation. One question about CPT and OPT, have there been cases where MFE grads with enough coursework in DS yet have faced visa issues when transitioning to tech roles? UCB MFE grads often go into DS roles but anecdotally I have heard few folks facing problems transitioning into Tech (not limited to Fintech) because of USCIS regulations.

PS: Reasons OPT request might be rejected, I am referring to the 3rd point.

“(1) You utilized more than 11 months and 29 days of full time CPT. That would make you ineligible for OPT.

(2) You did not apply within the stipulated timeframe.

(3) Your OPT employment is not related to your major.

(4) You've previously utilized OPT for a previous degree that is “at the same level of study”. For example: If you did one Master’s Degree and used your OPT, you won't get a second OPT if you do a second Master’s in the US.

(5) For errors on your form, missing documents or photographs that do not meet standards, you'll usually get an RFE and not an outright rejection.

There could be reasons other than this as well. Ideally, you would get a letter on rejection that states why specifically your OPT was denied.

Always consult your ISO before you apply for your OPT to avoid these situations. “

Please share your experiences and thoughts regarding this. Also potentially mitigating this through CSE dual masters at GT.

Hi everyone!
To those voting, it'd be great if you could give me a short reason for your vote. Just to make sure there isn't some kind of Quantnet rank bias of sorts.

Everyone I have talked to in the financial industry has a good opinion of Cornell ORIE. What I like about Cornell's program is that your degree is an ORIE degree with a financial emphasis and the name/prestige of the university. You mentioned your desired career path, what do the universities report in their employment reports? From what I remember (I have never checked Georgia) Cornell places more people in your top categories than the other two, so at least you can get your foot in the door.

Back