• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Cornell MEng. FE vs Columbia MAFN

Cornell MEng. FE or Columbia MAFN

• Total voters
Hi all,

I have been admitted to the above two programs, and I am having a hard time choosing between them.

For Cornell, I heard their job placement (career service) is way better than Columbia; and the course contents are more practically related to FE. But Cornell locates in a small town hundreds of miles away from New York, would location be a big problem?
For Columbia, well, its career service is "abysmal", quoting from one thread of this forum. Its job placement is a bit too untransparent with only company names and no actual statistics. And Columbia is highly "theoretical", that's also something I am concerned about, I am so tired of learning math all the time : ( However the Columbia brand is too attractive...

I really appreciate any advice, thank you so much!

Columbia MAFN is likely an absolute joke. They use weasel language on their website when giving placement information, gives no stats or anything useful whatsoever, and is significantly inferior to similar programs in the same university.

Doesn't seem to be much of a decision imo

Cornell is 4 hours from NYC, not really a deal-breaker and the third semester is in NYC anyways. I, for one, wouldn't mind being in a campus away from the hustle of NY initially.. gives you space to focus on the curriculum.

Its fine as long as the brand can get you an interview call (or doesn't shun away) and I dont think Cornell is far behind if not equal. That said, I can relate to the Columbia premium, will be tough to reject.

I'd suggest you to look deeply into the curriculum and the courses you're offered in both programs, no point in suffocating your coursework with something you are not too keen to learn, or doesn't help you in the future.

Cornell is 4 hours from NYC, not really a deal-breaker and the third semester is in NYC anyways. I, for one, wouldn't mind being in a campus away from the hustle of NY initially.. gives you space to focus on the curriculum.

Its fine as long as the brand can get you an interview call (or doesn't shun away) and I dont think Cornell is far behind if not equal. That said, I can relate to the Columbia premium, will be tough to reject.

I'd suggest you to look deeply into the curriculum and the courses you're offered in both programs, no point in suffocating your coursework with something you are not too keen to learn, or doesn't help you in the future.
Thank you!

Columbia MAFN is likely an absolute joke. They use weasel language on their website when giving placement information, gives no stats or anything useful whatsoever, and is significantly inferior to similar programs in the same university.

Doesn't seem to be much of a decision imo
That's what I am concerned about exactly, I think I'll choose Cornell then :) Thank you

Back