• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Cornell MEng. FE - FInance/Accounting prerequisite

Hi All,

I was filling out the application form for cornell's M.Eng FE concentration program.
And on the last page, they ask to list down the courses covering 4 topics-
1.Calc/Diff Eq./Linear Alg
2. Probability/Stochastic process
3. Programming
4. Finance/Accouting

I do not have any course in my transcript on Finance/Accounting. And it is mandatory to fill out the courses in all the 4 areas.
And they have specifically mentioned that they do not accept any remediation course such as pre-mfe and stuff. Quoting from their webpage -
"Note: Courses completed to satisfy the prerequisites for the Financial Engineering concentration (at Cornell or elsewhere) do not count towards fulfilling any of the general requirements for the MEng degree."

So from Cornell, it's a hard no then ?

Honestly, not sure. I'd imagine there are ways around it but have never read anything by anyone who managed to do it. If it is a soft line, they're keeping quiet about it.

Since the fields are mandatory, I am not able to move to next steps in application without filling the courses in all 4 areas.
I thought maybe there would be some way around it, that's why posted here. Hopefully get to know some info from past applicants.

For probability, I was thinking of putting the baruch's pre-mfe probability course. But Cornell doesn't allow that as evident from its directions.

Since the fields are mandatory, I am not able to move to next steps in application without filling the courses in all 4 areas.
I thought maybe there would be some way around it, that's why posted here. Hopefully get to know some info from past applicants.
You can always try to write 'in progress' and sign up for the nearest community college.
Asking those who've gone through it is safer though. If you haven't emailed the admissions team, do that.
Also, this is a fairly common question for this program; if you use the search bar to look into previous posts I bet you can find something more helpful than I am.

You can always try to write 'in progress' and sign up for the nearest community college.
Asking those who've gone through it is safer though. If you haven't emailed the admissions team, do that.
Also, this is a fairly common question for this program; if you use the search bar to look into previous posts I bet you can find something more helpful than I am.

Yeah, thanks for that. I will directly mail them and enquire.

And the communtiy college or the pre-mfe, mooc route will not work here, I guess.
As they have mentioned the following in the application form -
"Courses completed to satisfy the prerequisites for the Financial Engineering concentration (at Cornell or elsewhere) do not count towards fulfilling any of the general requirements for the MEng degree"

That isn't what this means.

This means that you can take courses from other places to satisfy the prerequisite requirements (which is what you're trying to deal with) but that you can't transfer in credit once you have been accepted to help you graduate faster.

so community college or whatever accredited route you want to take will work just fine.

That isn't what this means.

This means that you can take courses from other places to satisfy the prerequisite requirements (which is what you're trying to deal with) but that you can't transfer in credit once you have been accepted to help you graduate faster.

so community college or whatever accredited route you want to take will work just fine.

Yes, thank you. Makes sense.

Back