• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Covariance question

Okay so lets take two securities A and B. Normally they would have probabilities along the lines of 0.25 good 0.5 mediocre 0.25 bad and E[r] of 12 and 6. That's pretty straightforward. I stumbled upon a question that gives separate probabilities for each asset. So for asset A 0.25 good 0.5 med 0.25 bad and for asset B 0.33 good 0.33 med 0.33 bad. E[r] would be the same as above. How do you approach calculating the co variance when the probabilities for each asset are different ? I tried averaging the probabilities out and the covariances I got were very low which would be in line with what the full question indicated but I am not really confident in my answer. Anyone have any ideas on how to approach this ?

Back