• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

CMU MSCF Current/past MSCF students: Pittsburgh or New York location? Would you change your choice?

Pittsburgh provides more access to office hours, study groups, and terrible cafeteria food. NY can’t be beat for recruiting - you’re right there where most of the jobs are. I chose Pitt because I knew I’d need the extra help, and recruiting is less important for me than academics. I only want to change on the days I have to schlep to an airport, then fly, schlep to a meeting, schlep back to the airport, fly again, then schlep home.

Well said Onegin.
Indeed, that is the case, it is up to you now.

Pittsburgh is the better option, in my honest opinion. Yes, you're closer to the major banks in NY, so networking is slightly easier, but that's the only benefit. I also don't think that most people in NY are actively networking because of the coursework. The fact that the professors and TAs are stationed in Pittsburgh is a very valuable resource that should not be overlooked. Also, Pittsburgh is the actual CMU campus so you have the option to take classes outside of MSCF, interact with students from different departments, and join on-campus organizations. The cost of living in Pittsburgh is also much cheaper than in NY.

yeah
Also, Pittsburgh is the actual CMU campus so you have the option to take classes outside of MSCF

yup, i am eyeing this program closely and one of the benefits i see is being able to take world class machine learning and CS classes (if not just directly getting the masters in CS itself instead of MSCF)

Back